App issues

That’s hugely helpful, James, diolch yn fawr iawn - I’ll pass them on to Ifan…:smile:

Thanks! I have used the iPhone app for about a year now, which had been working splendidly until about two months ago. I had the same problems as above (the lessons wouldn’t download and when you went to settings the app would suddenly close.) I thought it was just my phone, so I uninstalled/reinstalled it, but to my disappointment, it’s completely broken now, so I can’t go back and work on the former lessons.

I’ll try the iTunes method until we can fix all those pesky bugs! :wink:

Hi
Any news on the app being fixed ?
Diloch

Ifan is now safe and sound back in Wales, so (barring a couple of final touches for our Spanish promotion page) will be able to put some good time into this in the next couple of weeks…:smile:

Dear Aran and Ifan,
Please could you up date me on the APP issue? It is so much better for me than iTunes as I like to listen on the go!
Best wishes
Declan

S’mae Declan,

Are you using an iPod or iPhone? If so, why not just transfer the downloaded files to your device, and then you can listen on the go whilst the app gets looked at. If you need help with that, let me know.

Hwyl,

Stu

How’s it looking now, people? I’ve made some progress on getting it to first of all not work on my phone (seeing the problems is kind of a prerequisite for being able to solve them), and then on getting it to work better.

Still won’t open on my iPhone - will try deleting and reinstalling now …

Ok after deleting and reinstalling initial signs are good … it opens, let’s me switch to the South version and is currently downloading lesson 15 … fingers crossed :slight_smile:

Shwmae Ifan
On my app, I have been able to switch between the lessons page and the settings page without it crashing. I have also been able to change from course 3 southern to level 1 (new) and download lessons on both courses without problems. I’ve just had a play with courses 1 and 2, and the weekly practices, downloading random lessons and all fine there too.
Also, I’ve tried the online page, and that appears to be working fine as well.

Now, Daily practices, I am getting error messages for all the practices I’ve tried to download so far:

Download Failed
Sorry, but the lesson download failed. Please check your internet connection and retry.

My internet connection is fine, since I managed the other downloads, so just this section has the problems now.
I just also want to say thank you for fixing the app for us, and so quickly too. This gets used every day, and is what originally brought me to SSiW. This has been an extremely valuable tool for my learning, as I know it has been for others too!
Diolch! :smiley:

Yeah! The app is working!

Dioch!

Ifan - since you’ve returned the identifier to the lesson items in the JSON - would it be possible for them to become unique again - just in the JSON? e.g. course1_lesson1, course2_lesson1 etc. Less for me to have to change in the Android version once I’ve figured out why it doesn’t like the renamed hostname…

Yeah, that’d be doable. Do you reckon it’d mess things up for people who already have some info cached though? People would probably need to reinstall again, right after it just started working for them, right?

Do you reckon it’d mess things up for people who already have some info cached though? People would probably need to reinstall again, right after it just started working for them, right?

Possibly…

My complete guess is that the iPhone app will see them as new lessons i.e. people will have to redownload previously downloaded lessons (again).

Leave it as it is then, and I’ll update the Android app to take into account the course ID as well as the lesson ID when it adds items to its database

Happy to make the change if it’d save you the hassle of changing the app - it’d be a two-minute job. Just being cautious to avoid causing people more pain than they’ve already had :slight_smile:

I’ve found a little time to troubleshoot the Android app. Managed to solve the hostname doesn’t match error when connecting by switching to a newer API. So now the app is able to download course data again…

Is it possible for the titles of the media_items in the JSON to be set to something meaningful?

Currently the app picks up the title to display from the title held against the lesson item. Now that listening practices have been added to some of the challenges for the new course this means that the app shows two challange 5’s, two challenge 10’s, two 15’s etc.

I don’t have the ap. So that won’t affect me directly.
But I think it would be a good idea to fix the info that goes with the files (not just title, but composer, album, artist etc) so that it will be tidy and useful for future users. Right now I assume most people have stopped using the ap because of the other problem with downloading so maybe not so many will have to download again at the moment. But there will be a lot of people once they realise the ap is working again.

I still use the app and was still using it when there were problems (by avoiding using the problem areas!). Most of the titles in the app are labelled fine, but some of the new files coming in for the new course are starting to show the file names instead!

For those who are downloading the mp3s onto their computer, if you’re using iTunes for playback, you can change the titles, album, composer, track numbers etc through their program. Otherwise, you can still change them using your computers file management app, under ‘properties’.

What URL should be used for requesting an access token?

Used to use https://site.saysomethingin.com/api/v1/sessions

This now redirects to https://www.saysomethingin.com/api/v1/sessions
which returns 404…

I’ve emailed this to Ifan, so as soon as he’s next online (Eisteddfod permitting!) you should hear from him…:smile: