Anyone with a spare corner for a few days next summer?

Haia everyone!

I’m planning my next trip to Wales very early and thought I’d ask whether there are people in Wales who could lend me a bed/sofa/mattress for a few days in exchange for help around the house and Welsh conversation. I’ll be in Wales next summer in July and beginning of August. :slight_smile:

I should probably introduce myself. I’m Milla, I live in Helsinki and I will be 17 years old next year. I can take care of myself and this is not my first time travelling alone. My mother knows I’m posting this (it was her idea) and she’ll be involved in making sure everything’s safe and all that. :smile:

Last summer I got to stay in Dolgellau, Y Barri and Carmel as well as in a caravan at the Eisteddfod. It was lovely, everyone was amazing and I got to meet so many people!

This time I’d love to meet/possibly stay with last year’s people again and, if possible, move around even more.

I have a very loose plan at the moment - I will be flying to London on the 4th of July and back to Helsinki on the 6th of August, so I need to be in Cardiff on those days to catch a bus to the airport. Otherwise I’m basically free - my mom will be flying to the UK on the 31st of July and leaving with me on the 6th of August, but she’s not sure what she wants to do yet. She’s currently thinking of visiting Scotland and then going with me to Ynys Enlli, but we’ll see.

So, basically, from the 5th of July to around the 2nd of August I’d be free to move around Wales. There are some events I’d be interested in going to (Gŵyl Arall, Sesiwn Fawr Dolgellau, Gŵyl Cwrw Llŷn, to name a few. Sadly I’ll just miss Tafwyl), so it would be good to be around areas around the time of those events. I’ve got Dolgellau covered already but I’m still figuring out everything else.

Is there anyone with a spare bed/sofa/mattress who wouldn’t mind having me over for a few days in July? I would actually need food as well :smiley: I travel with a small backpack so I can’t carry food around with me and shopping for only a few days would be complicated. In exchange for food and shelter I can help with stuff at home, like cooking, cleaning, babysitting, helping with DIY (actually very interested in this! Happy to assist in any building projects etc…). Just let me know what I can help with and I’ll see if I can do it!

Oh, and I don’t need any definitive answers right now or even soon. I’m very flexible. :smile:

6 Likes

Can’t help with anywhere to stay in Wales, but would love to catch up with you again at some point during your travels next summer!

2 Likes

Yes! Will you be going to the Eisteddfod? I’m pretty sure I’ll be there the first couple of days :slight_smile: And let me know if you’re planning on being in Wales sometime during July!

you would be very welcome here anytime (SY10 0AN), but I think you will be teaching me Welsh!

2 Likes

Definitely hoping to visit the Eisteddfod again next year. Probably during the first weekend, but not sure yet. If not, we’ll have to plan something in North Wales…

1 Like

Thank you so much Amanda! It would be great to get to meet you again :smile:

@Jane - Great! :blush:

1 Like

Hello Milla! I think you know you’re welcome here any time! :slight_smile: During the Eisteddfod there’s a slight chance you may have to give up the front room to someone else - but you could always share with Steffi, she’d be chuffed! (But maybe you’ll be in Cardiff at that time anyway?)

2 Likes

Diolch o galon Sonia! I think I’ll be there during the Eisteddfod then, and probably on the first/first few days of my trip if that’s fine :blush:

1 Like

Grêt, edrych ymlaen! I’ll put it on the calendar now…

2 Likes

Big cheer when I told the kids this morning! :smile::smile::smile:

3 Likes

:grin: :heart:

1 Like

Hiya Milla, I’ll be in Wales at the same time too next year! I don’t know what my living situation will be at the time (I’m staying longer term, so I’ll likely be renting in Cardiff) so I can’t promise accommodation, but it would be lovely to catch up with you again! :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Great! :smiley: I think we can definitely meet up in Cardiff :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We’re sorry we can’t offer the chalet to you this year, but Beuno says you’d be welcome to have the floor in his room (if that sounds in any way attractive!)… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Diolch yn fawr iawn! :blush: Perfectly happy with Beuno’s room’s floor :smile:

2 Likes

If you’re in or around Aberystwyth - and we haven’t moved by then (There’s a possibility we may be moving to a different house in Aber around next Summer) then you’d be welcome here for a few days. We’ve got a few spare rooms here.

You’ll find enough Welsh speakers around here to make it a useful journey too! Possibly a stop point if you’re doing the arduous South to North journey :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Diolch yn fawr Nicky! :blush: I definitely hope to visit Aberystwyth…

1 Like

Keep in touch, drop me an IM and will see if we can sort closer to the date.

Hopefully by about Jan/Feb, should have a better idea where we will be then!

1 Like

Thank you so much! I’ll probably start planning everything properly a few months before my flight so I’ll be in touch then :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you fancy dropping into Llandysul, make sure you get in touch. I may have bookings so can’t promise, but if not always happy to have you here - and your mum as well, of course, if she’d like to come.

3 Likes