Any SSIW meetup at the National Eisteddfod 2016?

I’m staying fairly locally (although in England!) for the week and am volunteering in Maes D on the Thursday afternoon and the second Saturday morning, but have also given availabilities to be a general volunteer every other day apart from the first Friday evening. This doesn’t (yet) mean that I will be volunteering every other day.

So I’ll be around and wold love to meet up with all the other lovely SSIW people who will be there during the week.

Anyone up for a get together of some sort?

1 Like

Catrin and I will be there for the week - and had very much hoped to have a pre-Eisteddfod birthday party sorted out, but that’s kind of been knocked on the head by all the high jinks we’re going through trying to arrange a mortgage…

But if there’s a group decision for a particular day/night, we’ll definitely be there… :slight_smile:

A pre Eisteddfod party might exclude the people at Bootcamp, unless you were thinking of one much sooner than the week before, which would still be in school time.

No, unfortunately I don’t think there’s time, realistically, to arrange something before the Eisteddfod now - so if there’s a night that would suit most people at the Eisteddfod, we’ll definitely come along to that instead (and do our best to finish all this mortgage-related nonsense in time to have a 2017 birthday party early in the new year… :slight_smile:

We expect to be there the first and second days and would be delighted to get to meet some others.

1 Like

When I get to know when and where I’m working I’ll put it up here and those who want to come and chat can do so. But it would be great to have some sort of get together. Come on people! I do know I can make any evening apart from the first Friday, 29 July.

2 Likes

We’re hoping to get down there this year again (probably the Wednesday or Thursday) and having an unofficial gathering is really easy. There’s always a picnic type area somewhere and loads of food stalls.

1 Like

I’m intending to be there (not being far away), but so far have not been organised enough to make any arrangements. All I know so far is that Menter Caerdydd are organising a bus to and fro (so I need to find out their times), and that a friend is in the final round of Dysgwr y Flwyddyn (so I’d like to be there to support her) on Wednesday night. I have another friend giving a lecture, but I don’t know when yet…

2 Likes

I’ll be coming to the Eisteddfod, not got any more information about that yet - I’m volunteering for some of the days and would like to bring my husband along. He’s 100% saesneg, will he be ok?

1 Like

Of course … he can fetch the drinks. :joy:

I’m joking, there are no “Welsh only” rules outside of bootcamps. :blush: He would be more than welcome. Besides, what else would you do with him? Tie him up by the gate? Leave him in the car with a window cracked open?

5 Likes

These are all things that Tracey is usually wise enough to do with Geraint… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Stay on at the Maes one evening?

1 Like

I might - just might - tap your shoulder … :slight_smile:

???

1 Like

The future holds secrets … :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would really like a get together while I’m there

1 Like

I’ve just found out that we’re going to meet the parents of our “daughter-in-law” (as in, our son’s girlfriend of the lasts 5 years) on the second weekend of the Eisteddfod. (Thought of saying we couldn’t go, but it’s quite a big deal and we didn’t want to start off on the wrong foot with them!) So I’ll be going up during the week only, on the Menter bus from Cardiff, I hope. Not sure which days yet, but definitely Wednesday. If there’s not going to be an official meet-up during that time I’ll try to catch up with as many people as I can on an individual basis. I know where to find Margaret, at least!

1 Like

Right then, I’ve just booked tickets for Friday 5th!

It will be our first time at the Cenedlaethol - looking forward to it, just hoping I’ll be able to make sense of it all and keep the kids happily entertained. Any tips gratefully received! That will be the first priority rather than me meeting up with people, but I’d certainly like to try and fit in both.

I have a friend (an exemplary learner!) giving a talk on Friday morning at 11:00. I wonder when we should aim to get to Abergavenny in order to safely park and find the padell Prifysgol Caerdydd in time? I guess that could be a pretty time-consuming business. (Will you be going to Keith’s talk, @sarapeacock? It would be lovely to see you again, at least!)

2 Likes

If you Google Reaching the Eisteddfod 2016 it gives directions to several Park and Ride areas, dependant on from where you are coming. (Apologies for that very ugly sentence but I’m too tired to think straight). The buses run very regularly car parks and the Maes. I would add a good while to the RAC, AA, route planner time as traffic will be heavy. And if it isn’t, you have even more time on the Maes. :wink:

2 Likes

Ah, is that when Keith’s lecture is? I hadn’t been able to find it before. I’m going to go up on the first weekend with Angharad, then I had been thinking about going on the Wednesday to support Rwth in Dysgwr y Flwyddyn. But I’ll need now to think whether I’m going to do the Friday as well, or instead of that. Hmmmm… And I’d better decide sharpish, of course, because the early bird discount ends tomorrow.

I also need to book myself on the Menter Caerdydd bus (but at least I won’t have to worry about parking, eh?)

PS I think Keith’s a very brave man to be giving a lecture in Welsh - good on him!

2 Likes