A list of confusions!

Mae’n drwg gen i os rhywun di bod yn gofyn o’r blaen.
1)
Yma = here
Dyma = here (maybe on the phone “Myfanwy dyma”
Fa’ma = no idea but I hear it more the the other two (Gogledd)

I learned ‘mwynhau’ and was thrlled to just beat @aran to it when he said ‘the Cymraeg for “to enjoy” is…’ but on social media and in Caernarfon everyone says ‘joia’

As my most frequent opportunity to ymarfer siarad Cymraeg is at cafés, how do I say ‘Can I have (a latte, whatever). In Wlpan I was taught ‘Ga i gael’ and later I tried Dwi isio…plis with a rising inflection, but still felt it was a bit rude!

Any help much appreciated. I’m a pedant in English, which has probably been the root of my issues in learning Welsh. SSiW is helping me to just get on with it and learn from my mistakes but these things bother me!

1 Like

On the phone (at least on S4C) the formula I notice most is “Myfanwy sy’n 'ma” or maybe “Myfanwy sy 'ma” - literally, “It is Myfanwy who is here”, which sounds a bit grand in English, but I’m sure it doesn’t in Cymraeg. :slight_smile:

‘Ga i gael latte’ would strictly be a redundancy, since it’s something like “do I get to get a latte?”, so only “ga i latte [ plis ] or [os gwelwch yn dda]” is necessary, but I think you can get away with the “redundant” version.

Bit like “nes i gwneud …[something]”. For “I did [something]”. You only need the “nes i” since that’s the past of “gwneud”, but I believe “nes i gwneud” and variants is not uncommon.

2 Likes

Mike has answered the latte one, so here are the other couple -

Yma = here
Dyma = here (maybe on the phone “Myfanwy dyma”
Fa’ma = no idea but I hear it more the the other two (Gogledd)

Yma is here as in being in a place
Dyma is here as in ‘here is (whatever)’
Fa’ma is short for ‘fan yma’ which is here as in ‘this place’ (and fa’na would be fan yna - that place)

I learned ‘mwynhau’ and was thrlled to just beat @aran to it when he said ‘the Cymraeg for “to enjoy” is…’ but on social media and in Caernarfon everyone says ‘joia’

yes, joia is the colloquial form whereas mwynhau is the ‘proper’ word, but both are correct.

3 Likes

Yes you can. Ga i gael is the sort of thing that shocks learners and terrifies them when they accidentally let it slip out. And then they gradually realise that first language speakers sometimes do it too and they learn not to worry about it.

3 Likes

Diolch yn fawr iawn @mikeellwood yes of course it was ”sy’ma” I meant for the phone (thank goodness for switchboard interventions) and thank you for the clarification @siaronjames on the different ‘here’ uses.

I agree entirely with the redundant verb in ‘ga i gael’ - thank you both for explaining this! Maybe I instinctively felt it was weird?

I do like proper words, but I need to blend in so I’ll swallow my inner wordsmith and use joia when necessary!

3 Likes

Diolch @robbruce!