A 2nd Welsh radio station?

BBC Radio Cymru’s editor has said that there is a need to look at the possibility of getting a 2nd Welsh radio station next year…

I’d argue that there needs to be more than one, because one channel can’t cater to everybody. If they had one station similar to radio 1, and one similar to radio 2, that’d probably be a pretty big improvement and would probably result in more people listening to both overall.

Hi

On BBC Iplayer I found a link to a Welsh speaking radio show called C2 and that’s a far cry from the usual stuff that features on Radio Cymru. It may be worth a listen for you. There are also podcasts for learners which I have found good.

The problem that any single radio station has is that it can’t please everyone all the time, so it has to use time as a way of spacing out different types of coverage.

If there were more than one Welsh language station, the spreading out could be done across stations, instead of or as well as over time. Even two stations isn’t enough really, but it would be a start (e.g. one primarily music, and the other primarily speech).

@Becks I listen to C2 every night! Normally it’s the recorded show on iPlayer I listen to, but I try to catch it live where I can. It’s where I discover a lot of the new music coming out of Wales. C2 and Tommo I listen to most on Radio Cymru and I also subscribe to the C2 podcasts. Makes great listening practice on the go! :smile:

Radio Cymru and the BBC could also do more to improve access. There are only a small number of podcasts each week and although there are more programmes on my internet radio, Radio Cymru is often buried in the regional BBC stations so you really have to search for it.

It might not make much of a real difference but I’d love to hear Huw Edwards use the odd Welsh phrase on the News at 10 to shake things up a bit!

Gavin (faithless78) : @Becks I listen to C2 every night! Normally it’s the recorded show on iPlayer I listen to, but I try to catch it live where I can. It’s where I discover a lot of the new music coming out of Wales.

It’s worth checking out Tudur Owen’s shows (Friday afternoon and Saturday lunchtime) and Richard Rees’s Saturday morning show, too. Both of these include cool new music alongside the best of cool music from the past fifty years. Richard Rees in particular is very pleased to respond to text/email/twitter requests, too.

Rob Bruce : It’s worth checking out Tudur Owen’s shows (Friday afternoon and Saturday lunchtime) and Richard Rees’s Saturday morning show, too. Both of these include cool new music alongside the best of cool music from the past fifty years. Richard Rees in particular is very pleased to respond to text/email/twitter requests, too.

I will do that. I’ve listened to Tudur Owen’s show on Friday afternoon, but I haven’t heard Richard Rees’ show yet. Diolch Rob!