2016 Tresaith Bootcamp July 23-30

We can all join in the game to help out.

1 Like

We have decided that it has the potential to go wrong which would not be fair on other bootcampers. So we are going to do the family week course thing in Cardiff where I am sure there will be lots of other small people causing problems!
Hope you all have fun

1 Like

I hope it works out well for you Jenny.

1 Like

Hi…i am thinking of coming as i see there are 4 spaces left.

However i am in stuttgart till sunday (with a welsh speaker!) and wouldnt be able to make it till late sunday evening or even monday morning.

I’m keen to learn and willing to help too eg cooking if thats needed.

Cheers

A family bootcamp would be the obvious next step, wouldn’t it? (I speak airily as someone who wouldn’t qualify so wouldn’t actually have to make it work!). All the best in Cardiff!

It’s something we’ve talked about from time to time - but even having sympathetic bootcampers in the same ‘how do I make this small person work properly?!’ stage of life wouldn’t solve the issue of the learning experience being affected if people still need to use English…

I’m going to tag @iestyn for this - generally speaking, it’s a very tough gig to pitch up as late as that, because you’d be on a very different learning curve to everyone else - you’d be going through your toughest point about 3 days into the process, at which stage everyone else would be through the wall and gaining confidence and enjoyment, which would feel pretty challenging for you…

Ah yes fair enough - just that being a teacher I can’t attend the September one :frowning:

Wonder if I can find something for a weekend maybe?

There’s plenty of stuff out there, although nothing I’m aware of with a No English rule - we don’t do weekends ourselves (because they’re not long enough for the benefits of full immersion to kick in), but if you hunt around for ‘Welsh for Adults’ and see what the individual providers have available, you should be able to find something… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I joined the first ever Bootcamp almost a day after everyone else and it took a long time for me to feel part of the group. It is definitely best to start together as a group, as I discovered on subsequent Bootcamps.

Are you on the mailing list of any of the Menter Iaith groups? I know that Menter Caerdydd run long weekends, sometimes in Tresaith, where they try not to speak any English in anything but the absolute beginners group. You can subscribe to their newsletter and tick your particular interests for them to let you know their upcoming events.

2 Likes

And booked. Here’s hoping the rest of Southern Level 2 is done by then ;).

2 Likes

Hi Peter,

Yes, I’m going to reluctantly say that not arriving until Monday will probably be too big a hurdle.

I’m basing this on the average, so if you are remarkably confident, or if you feel that you will have been speaking so much Welsh in Stuttgart that you will be already in Bootcamp mode, then you may be able to work it. But, as Ali says, joining a group of Friends as an outsider, regardless of the language, is a tough job. The problem with bootcamp is that most people feel at some stage that they are “holding the other back” or that they are not understanding things that eveyone else seems to be understanding. When that happens to you, and you are already not quite part of the group, then it could trn a challenging but rewarding bootcamp into a bit of an isolational nightmare.

You know yourself far better than I do, of course. If you’d like to contact me, then by all means email me on iestyn SaysomethinginWelsh.com and we can have a chat on the phone about where you are and how things would work. But my starting position would be “I think there’s a danger that you would not get the benefit from the bootcamp from arriving late”. If you think that your circumstances are such that I am starting from the wrong position, then it’s worth a chat!

Otherwise, there are weekends available with Cymdeithas yr Iaith, which I think tend to be mostly in Welsh (though no formal no-English rule), and the various Welsh-for-Adults organisations organise weekend schools, biut these tend to be lessons with ENglish speaking or at best fairly mixed coffee breaks.

1 Like

Tech agent on work again. :slight_smile:

I’ve clicked the link for info about Bootcamp which drives me to Bootcamp FAQ page which is perfectly fine Then at the bottom of the page I’ve clicked on this link , which leads me to the topic of the old forum what is also perfectly fine but clicking on the link "What to bring to Bootcamp (this mostly relates to Tresaith) - " is actually dead. Clicking on it it brings you to the Welsh lessons main page with the note that “The course could not be found”. Well, i’m kind of tech and am always able to find (well almost always) what I am sarching for one way or another but people less skilled will get lost from here on. So it might be the link on the FAQ page would lead directly to that “What to bring list”, maybe worth creating one another alinee for that. I didn’t test, but I presume the other links on the old forum in that thread work approximately the same way though. The link under “or her comprehensive Bootcamp FAQs thread at:” works perfectly.

Just noted that while cruising around … :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi iestyn,

Dim problem :slight_smile:

Dw i’n gallu yw wneud e ar ol yr bootcamp, yn mis awst,mis medi??

Dw i’n hapus iawn fy mod i’n mynd i wneud bootcamp :slight_smile: mae yn ddigon!!

Dw i’n disgwyl ymlaen cwrdd i ti.

Pob hwyl,

Elkie

1 Like

Bore da, bawb!

Everyone should have received their welcome email by now (I sent them about 2 minutes ago!) - if you haven’t received yours please let me know here, or email me on iestyn <at. saysomethinginwelsh.com

Diolch tatjana for the heads-up on the broken link on the old forum: I’ve mended it now. It’s to do with the fact that everything in the old forum is now “old…” rather than “www…”, but we haven’t been through the old forum changing all the internal links, for obvious reasons…

Cat and I, plus our two daughters (our sons will be in France by then) are looking forward to meeting you all!

1 Like

I’m glad I could help. I rether thought that if I’d log into the old forum (I was member there but didn’t post much) I’d get all the links, but since many of members here weren’t members there it wuldn’t help much so I didn’t even try. Now I’ll happily look at that list. :slight_smile:

Dw i wedi derbyn yr ebost! Diolch Iestyn, dw i’n edrych ymlaen at y bootcamp a chyfarfod pawb.

3 Likes

Now that all (proper) cards are in my hands I can say ---------------- so do I. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I got your e-mail, thank you.
My contact details are the same like last year, do you need address and numbers again?
I’ll stay from Friday to Saturday in Aberystwyth and will go by bus to Tresaith.

1 Like

In case you didn’t see yet @Iestyn, I’ve got your mail and sent one (colorful) back with the info you’ve requested.

Can someone pinch me so I can be sure I’m not dreaming maybe? :slight_smile:

4 Likes