Yorkshire and the N E of England Cymanfa Ganu 20 May 2023 - Morley, Leeds

SCROLL DOWN for the latest information - May 2023

The 2018 Yorkshire and the N.E. of England Cymanfa Ganu - Hymn-Singing Festival will be held at Lindley Methodist Church, East St., Lindley, Huddersfield HD3 3ND on Saturday 12th May 2018 at 2.00. There are two services/singing sessions: 2.00 - 3.30 and 4.45 to 6.30. You are welcome to come to either or both. Bring your singing voice with you! Tea and coffee are served at 3.30 and again at 6.30 but bring sandwiches etc. if you think you’ll get peckish.

The Cymanfa Ganu is a Welsh chapel tradition started in the 19th century and continuing today. It is also strong in other countries with large enough ex-pat populations.

The leader of worship and singing this year is the Rev. Philip Barnett, from Y Bala originally, and the organ will be played by Trystan Lewis, proprietor of the Welsh language bookshop in Llandudno, a well-known choir leader and musician of high standing in Wales, who also often leads Cymanfaoedd Canu in England.

Popular hymns, mainly from the 19th and 20th centuries, are sung by YOU, the congregation, in Welsh, with the odd verse or occasional complete hymn in English. There are readings, prayers and a commentary on the hymns, plus the odd funny story, all in Welsh and English. A collection is taken in each session. If you have not been before, give it a try. Lindley Methodist Church is a beautiful Grade II listed building designed by Edgar Wood, the Manchester architect in the 19th century Arts and Crafts movement. It has good acoustics and a pipe organ, plus beautiful stained glass. Lindley is a 25 minute bus ride on the 370, 371 or 372 bus from Westgate near Huddersfield’s main railway station. Parking will probably be available in the car parks of two schools across the road from the church. Reply to this posting if you would like further information.

Dewch i ganu! Croeso cynnes i bawb.

3 Likes

Yorkshire and the N E of England Cymanfa Ganu 20 May 2023 Morley, Leeds

This year’s Cymanfa Ganu / Welsh Hymn-Singing Festival will be held on Saturday 20th May 2023 at the Central Methodist Church, Wesley Street, Morley, nr. Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS27 9EE
The session will begin at 2.00 and continue until 4.00, followed by refreshments. The singing will be led in Welsh and English by Yvonne Robert, international soprano, originally from Prestatyn, and Keith Webster will play the organ. Following Covid it was decided to limit the event to one singing session only, so it will finish at 5.00 p.m. - ish. There will be a collection to ensure the continuation of the Cymanfa. Hymn books may be borrowed or bought at the door. New speakers of Welsh welcome! Dowch yn llu!

Eileen Walker

2 Likes

I attended this uplifting event today. This was my second Cymanfa Ganu. I definitely recommend it for the thrill of four part singing in the beautiful Welsh language and the great spiritual uplift it provided. Great acoustics in Morley Central Methodist Church. Looking forward to the next one!

1 Like

Is there one in 2024?