Yn llwyd ... yn lwyd?

In the vocab session for colours, there is a mutation after “yn” (mae’n goch, wyrth etc.) However, it is “yn llwyd”. Shouldn’t it be “yn lwyd”?

Well spotted!
Technically probably yes, it should mutate, but both forms (yn lwyd and yn llwyd) are commonly used.

Siaron-I think words starting with Ll and Rh are exceptions to the rule, but not sure about that? Yn lwyd just sounds wrong for some reason? Yn llawn - calon lan yn llawn daioni, sucggests to me they don’t.

Siarad yn rhugl etc

2 Likes

Yes, Ll and Rh are often exceptions, but both llwyd and lwyd are used. I can’t give you a ‘reason’, I’m just going on what I hear/read!
e.g.
This quote on Twitter from Iolo Williams
“Pan yn wlyb, mae nhw i gyd yn edrych yn lwyd tywyll felly dim ond pan mae’r got yn sychu daw’r patrymau a’r lliwiau yn amlwg”

and this quote from ‘Trwy’r Tonnau’ by Manon Steffan Ros
“Roedd y gŵr wrth ei hymyl yn blaen, yn dal ac yn llwyd . Gwisgai grys gwyn a throwsus llwyd, ac edrychai ei wyneb main yn flinedig.”

4 Likes

Yes, @Toffidil is right - yn before adjectives dos cause SM, but not of LL and RH. *Yn lwyd sounds wrong because it is wrong - and I am guessing that instances of *yn lwyd being heard, as @siaronjames mentions, are actually cases of hypercorrection - people knowing the basic SM rules, but not knowing the finer details, such as after yn, and therefore assuming that yn llwyd must in some way be wrong.

6 Likes

Thanks everyone, I’ve just unearthed a textbook and found out that ll and rh are indeed exceptions to the rule (at least sometimes). Well, so much for getting a grip on mutations …

5 Likes