Ymarfer Cymraeg

Efalle, os ti’n darllen y bost yn uchel cyn i ti wneud “Reply”, allet ti’n “clywed” y treigladiau (neu lle mae raid i treigladiau).
(which was meant to say: “If you read it out loud before posting, maybe you will “hear” the mutations (or where there should be mutations)”. Wel, dim ond syniad oedd o.)

2 Likes

Helo pawb! Ydw i’n medru ymuno’r sgwrs?

Mae Belarws yn swnio’n ddiddorol iawn yn wir. Dw i heb ddarllen llawer o bethau am yr ieithoedd sy’n dod o’r Slavonic (Slavoneg??). Dw i’n siarad Groeg modern, ac dw i’n credu bod digon o eiriau Groeg yn y Slavonic hefyd.

@Millie, dwi’n hapus i weld pobl ymuno a’r sgwrs:)

Wyt ti’n meddwl y gwlad neu’r iaith? Mae Belarwsian (iaith) yn “Eastern Slavic” (fel Rwsiad ac Ukrainian). Mae hi’n debyg iawn i Rwsiaid, ond mae rhai geiriau yn gwahanol. Mae pobol yn Belarws yn siarad Rwsiad, dim Belarwsian.
Dwi ddim yn siarad Groeg modern, ond dwi’n ei moyn e achos mae teulu 'nhad yn byw yn Wlad Groeg. Ble wyt ti’n byw yn Wlad Groeg, (if I may ask)?

Oh, I sound rather impolite in Welsh, I’m afraid. I would be addressing everyone as a “chi” (it’s easy for me to get used to it - in Russian we have two forms of you as well), but I don’t know the forms of the verbs for it yet. Please forgive me.
As for the similarities between the Slavic languages and the Greek - I know that our Cyrillic writing system was based on Greek, and some grammar points are certainly very similar…

Diolch yn fawr, dwi’n meddwl mae’n gallu bod defnyddiol iawn.
But the problem is, I’m not as used to hearing the correct Cymraeg and so a sentence can look perfectly correct to me, and there’s something important like a mutation missing, but I just can’t notice it yet. It’s probably much too soon for me to attempt a serious conversation in Cymraeg, I realize.

Helo Stella,

Dw i’n golygu’r ddau. Mae’r Slavic yr iaith gyntaf, ac wedyn, am y “middle stage” mae hi’n Slavonic, yn arbennig “Church Slavonic”. Mae’r Belarwsian, y Rwsiad ac y Ukrainian yn dod o’r Slavonic. Diddorol yn wir!

Dw i’n byw yn y Gogledd, yn Alecsandrwpoli (Alexandroupolis). Ac y teulu dy dad?

Dw i’n meddwl, bod y verb endings yn debyg yn y ddwy iaith. Dw i’n gwybod bod yn debyg yn Eidaleg!

Efallai byddon ni’n gweld?

berf: Groeg diavazo (darllen)

fi = ego diavazo
ti = esy diavazeis
o = aftos diavazei
hi = afti diavazei
ni = emeis diavazoume
chi = eseis diavazete
nhw = aftoi diavazoun

Eidaleg guardare (edrych)

fi = io guardo
ti = tu guardi
o = lui guarda
hi = lei guarda
ni = noi guardiamo
chi = voi guardate
nhw = loro guardono

The endings in the first person are extremely similar - the same in the singualr and very close in the plural -oume and -iamo. The same goes for the 2nd person - in the singular the Greek takes a final -s but the rest is basically the same, and in the plural it will be -ete/ -ate in both languages. And as for the 3rd person plural, the similarity is obvious. -oun/ oune in Greek, -ono in Italian. I am unfamiliar with how this would have been in the present tense in Welsh, but I suspect there will be similarities there. How does this compare with Slavic languages?

1 Like

Bore da, Millie!
Diolch yn fawr, wnes i ddim yn gwybod beth yw enw cywir yr ieithoedd’ma yn Saesneg. Mae enw Rwsiad yn “славянский” (slavianskiy). Ond maen tri grŵp ieithoedd – eastern Slavic, western (Polish, Czech, the two languages spoken in Germany, Hornjoserbšćina and Dolnoserbšćina), and southern (which includes Slovene and the Ancient Slavic and the Church Slavic).
Mae’n ddrwg da fi, dwi’n deall ti’n gwybod y bethau’ma yn barod, fel y ieithydd! But I thought it might be interesting for some other people who have a passion for languages.
Modern Greek and Italian certainly look quite similar (I mean the verb endings), let’s see a Russian verb. I’ll take a verb from the first conjugation, изучать (to study)
Изучать
Я изучаю (ya izuchaiu) – the verb ending is “iu”
Ты изучаешь (ty izuchaiesh) - iesh
Он изучает (on izuchaiet) - iet
Мы изучаем –(my izuchaiem) - iem
Вы изучаете (vy izuchaiete) - iete
Они изучают (oni izuchaiut) – iut
The Belarussian verb will be very similar to the Russian one, with some minor orthographical changes. So, we can see that some endings are quite similar, -iamo, -oume and –iem in the first person plural, and ete, -ate, -iete in the second person plural. And the languages don’t even belong to the same group! Fascinating :sunny:
P.S. Mae teulu ‘nhad yn byw in Thessaloniki (Θεσσαλονίκη, I think this is the name in English, but I’m not sure). I’m sure Alexandroupolis is very beautiful… Dwi’n caru hanes a diwylliant Groeg, ond does dim posib i fi i ymweld y gwlad’ma nawr. Ond bydda i’n fynd yno yn y dyfodol, gobeithio.

Dyma rhywbeth yn ddiddorol iawn!

The verb endings are extremely similar. Somehow I knew there would be similarities. Our language families are not as far apart as it might appear at first glance, I think.

Mae Thessaloniki yn bell o Alecsandrwpoli, 3 awr o gyrru. Dw i’n caru’r gwlad, ond dw in casau’r recession!! Dw i’n hoffi fy nhre, fy nhy yn agos i’r mor.

1 Like

Yes, it’s very interesting. I remember learning Ancient Greek and Latin at the same time at shool, and it seemed to me they were as different as two languages can be, I couldn’t find any similarities between them.

Oh, dw i’n caru mor iawn… Wnes i fyw yn Abhazia yn agos i’r mor gyda teulu 'nhad pryd wnes i ferch fach. Ond aethon nhw i fyw i Wlad Groeg oherwydd y rhyfel.

Bearing in mind Stella’s recent post, a reminder that it’s for anyone who might care to join in.

Sgwn i bod dw i wedi dechrae darllen bach mwy yn ddiweddar. Doedd dim mor llawer o ysgrifennu, ond efallau mae rhaid i mi gychwyn rŵan.

Gyda llaw, os oes angen i rhywun i rhywbeth i ygrifennu “to bach”, ti’n gallu trio wefan hwn:

http://www.interceptorsolutions.com/products/tobach

(I could not get this to work first time I tried it back when I used Windows XP, but when I tried it on a Windows 7 machine, it went in fine. If that won’t work for you, a workaround is: )

http://welsh.typeit.org

1 Like

This is most helpful:) I have also seen a spellchecker for Welsh mentioned on some other thread, but I can’t seem to find it now, unfortunately… I remember it was on some website that taught Business Welsh.

Don’t forget cysillvar lein. Aval on Internet as grammar checker. Not perfect but great at picking up common errors!

1 Like

Diolch yn fawr, I’ll add it to the list of useful resources in the how-to section:)

Sorry there is typo. It’s cysill ar lein and some may also find casgliad too which is useful to write

It’s fine, I found the correct name and added the link:)

Bangor University

http://www.bangor.ac.uk/canolfanbedwyr

…I see you have found it, but anyway here is the link I found:

http://www.cysgliad.com/cysill/arlein/

1 Like

As I was trying to say “I suppose”, I think that should have been tybio or dw i’n tybio.
(I think sgwn i means "I wonder … always get those two mixed up). I was looking around for alternatives, and there is also rhagdybio (which looks related to tybio, and means “presume”, “assume”, “presuppose”…etc. It sounds like a “higher register” (posh) word to me.

Gyda llaw, dw i wedi dod o hyd cyfres fyr hon erthyglau byr Cymraeg:

http://www.denbighshirefreepress.co.uk/news/searcharchive.aspx?hdrsearch=%20Yn%20Fy%20Marn%20i&hdrmd=1&search=%20Yn%20Fy%20Marn%20i

Maen nhw’n digon diddorol a mae rhai ohonnhw’n englyn yr hen iaith.
Yn anfoddus ydy’r cyfres wedi gorffen rŵan.

(Mae’n cyfle bach amarfer darllen Cymraeg “hanner-ffurfiol”)

1 Like

I find the lack of these functional phrases like I suppose, On the one hand… on the other hand and such slightly uncomfortable, but that is probably because I’m too slow a learner and I haven’t done much of Level 1 so far. This is a good cheatsheet with functional phrases in Welsh http://clwbmalucachu.co.uk/grammar-cheatsheets/useful-phrases/conversational-phrases/

1 Like

Diolch yn fawr, ti’n wastad ffeindio rhywbeth diddorol a defnyddiol. (Gobeithio, galla i ysgrifennu “ti” ac dw i ddim yn rhy anghwrtais.)

Is is just me or do I really hear in the Welsh word for “impolite” the adjective “courteous”?

Na, fi hefyd. “un-courteous” tybed, neu “discourteous”.

A mae “ti” yn iawn, wrth gwrs. :slight_smile:

Diolch! In Rwsia, mae dwy ffurf gyda ni: “ti” a “chi” hefyd. Dw i’n dweud “chi” fel arfer, os dw i ddim yn gwybod rhywun yn dda, ond yn ni’n wedi bod yn siarad am digon o amser, gobeithio:)