Yes, yes?

Me again - sorry. Got my tail up today! Can someone explain when you use ‘do’ and when you use ‘ydw’ for ‘yes’? I can’t work out the pattern.
Thanks.

1 Like

generally (very generally), ‘do’ answers a question in a past tense, ‘ydw’ answers questions in the present that start with ‘wyt’.

3 Likes

Hi Chris,
Nice to meet you!
You use do when talking about the past and ydw in the present.
Eg Did you eat the cake? Do
Are you eating the cake? Ydw

3 Likes

Good gracious - how simple was that? Thanks so much - I think I was overthinking it! I’ve got byddaf firmly stuck in my head for some reason - but just didn’t see the link to the past and present tenses. Jeepers I LOVE this forum and the SSI Welsh course is genius.

6 Likes

The reason is the “future”. Byddaf you use in the future tense.

Eg Will you eat the cake?
Byddaf, bydda i’n …

1 Like

Oh I know the rule on that one - that byddaf is for the future - 'tis the only version of ‘yes’ that I was sure of until I asked this question earlier. Also, it’s such an odd looking word, it’s just stuck. Thank goodness something has!

3 Likes

Snap! :heart: Full of the loveliest people I’ve ever found on the interwebs… :slight_smile:

P.S. Don’t worry too much about yes and no - if you only ever say ‘ia’ and ‘na’, you’ll always be understood perfectly… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

‘ia’??? Oh no - not another word for ‘yes’? I knew I should have started learning Lithuanian!

1 Like

Indeed! The joke in Welsh is that there are a hundred ways to say yes and no, which from what I can tell is only a slight exaggeration! :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

One more to the mix … “ie” :slight_smile:

No is always “na” for me but yes … (this is another story) (well, let’s forget about nagyw and such things… :slight_smile: )

1 Like