Wyt ti'n or Dych chi'n? Mk

Hi,

New to the forum but loving the ssiw course and it’s actually sinking in lol! :grin:

Just a bit confused about when to use wyt ti’n as opposed to dych chi’n or are they interchangable? Could someone help out a confused learner (me) please? :blush:

Diolch.

Jon

4 Likes

Both mean “are you?”, but Welsh has two forms of addressing people: ti is for people you are familiar with, friends, pets and children. chi is for formal situations and/or people you don’t know. Those are the general guidelines, you’ll learn the difference over time.

6 Likes

To add to what Hendrik said, chi is also used as the plural if you’re addressing more than one person.

6 Likes

Thanks both. I was just thinking chi formal ti informal. Thank you for letting me know. I’m trying not to overthink it as we don’t think about this sort of thing when speaking our first language.

Diolch pawb :blush:

4 Likes

…ond don’t worry about the Welsh mutations yet; but I am pretty sure that this becomes «Diolch i bawb«…the gratitude is clear all the same :smile:

1 Like

Or more usually Diolch bawb - SM for vocative. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

…and there you have it, @JonWest. I too am new to SSIW so have only been around 5 minutes in comparison to the 5 minuter’s and all :sweat_smile:
Diolch, @garethrking
I don’t remember vocative from Now You’re Talking :laughing: (but perhaps not many of us might) and my lovely Cymraes was only just divulging the generalities to me.

2 Likes

Soft Mutation? :smirk:

2 Likes

Yup, p -> b in pawb (everyone)

1 Like

Yes.

Also a word of warning - a friend of mine who is first language welsh said chi/ti thing can be a tricky area. She used chi to refer to a colleague because they were in a work setting but she said by the look on the other persons face she interpreted it as chi because of her age.

Hopefully people will be a tad more forgiving on us poor learners!

2 Likes

I doubt this, though.

You really are perfectly safe with chi (just like you are with vous in French) unless it’s obviously addressing a child or a close family member. Be bold and fearless! :slight_smile:

3 Likes