Wnei di?

I think this should go in the quick questions for quick answers section but I can’t for the life of me fnd out how to post there, so I hope posting my question here is OK

if “wnei di” means “you are going to do”
does “wnei fi” mean “I am going to do”?
and “wnei fo/hi” mean “he/she is going to”?
and wnei ni, wnei chi and wnei nhw etc

No, they all come from the verb gwneud but they have different forms depending on the pronoun:
wna i
wnei di
wnaiff e/o/hi but also wneith e/o/hi
wnan ni
wnewch chi
wnân nhw

1 Like

brilliant, thank you Siaron

1 Like

so will the mynd version go?
ges i
gest ti already realised this wont follow ha! oh well
gaiff o/hi
gain ni
gaiwch chi
gain nhw (with a torbach on the a, my keyboard cant do them atm)

i think Im getting my mynd all muddled with cael sorry!

No, because gwneud, cael and mynd are all irregular so they all have their little quirks!

Mynd -
Af i
Ei di
Aiff e/o/hi but also Eith e/o/hi
Awn ni
Ewch chi
Ân nhw

Cael -
Ca i (or caf i)
Cei di
Caiff e/o/hi but also Ceith e/o/hi
Cawn ni
Cewch chi
Cân nhw

thanks siaron
I have seen gaiff as opposed to caiff are they the same ? Is one a postive and anther negative or am completely barking up the wrong tree?

Not barking up the wrong tree, but it’s not as black and white as that!
caiff is positive and will mutate to gaiff if it’s a question, or when it follows the positive particles fe or mi (e.g. mi gaiff hi / fe gaiff hi), but also in a positive statement where the speaker has left out the positive particles (which is perfectly normal!)
Technically, caiff will mutate to chaiff in the negative, though in speech it often doesn’t.

I think my brain has just exploded haha ok I’m not going master this today but I am thinking it is a little bit like bydd and how that mutates to fydd as a negative and if the mi is used in front of it.

Thanks Siaron.

yup, exactly like bydd. But don’t get bogged down with it - if you mis-mutate it really isn’t the end of the world. The more you hear the patterns, the more your brain will absorb them naturally. It’s normal to worry about getting them right, but pausing to remember the rules (which are often very flexible in speech anyway) can do more harm than good when it comes to practising conversation :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you Siaron, that’s advice that makes my brain hurt a little less :rofl:

3 Likes