Wnei di - wnest ti

Bore da, I was wondering if wnei di and wnest ti are the same? My translator app comes up with the same, I’m want to say “what did you do yesterday?”
Beth Wnest ti ddoe?
Beth wnei di ddoe?
Diolch

No, they are different tenses.
wnest ti = past tense
wnei di = future tense

So “What did you do yesterday?” has to be “Beth wnest ti ddoe?”
and “What will you do tomorrow?” would be “Beth wnei di fory?”

2 Likes

That’s brilliant thanks Siaron, I didn’t realise that, diolch :grin:

1 Like

Sorry to bring up a old conversation…I have just started to learn Wnei di … (It took me a moment to realise the Wnest ti/ Wnei di difference between to)
…but after learning roedd and bydd recently… I’m wondering why the sentence wouldn’t be…

Beth fyddwch chi’n ei wneud yfory?
Instead of
Beth wnei di fory?

Is there certain right times to use one or the other… or is it just a easier way to say the same thing?

I guess it’s kinda a direct translation…
Beth fyddwch chi’n ei wneud yfory?
What will you do tomorrow?

Instead of
Beth wnei di fory?
What you doing tomorrow?

So the wnei di is just a easier more natural conversation? There’s not actually a ‘will’ in the sentence … it’s just implied?
Is that kind of right?
Maybe that is what’s confusing me…

There’s no reason why it couldn’t be, they are both valid

No, no certain times, they are just using different forms of constructing the future tense, and which is used is pretty much personal preference.

To be totally literal, the translations would be
Beth fyddwch chi’n ei wneud yfory? - What will you be doing tomorrow?
and
Beth wnei di fory? - What will you do tomorrow?

In the first you have a form of bod (to be), so that’s where the ‘will be’ pops in, and in the second the ‘will’ is given because of the form of gwneud used - the ‘will do’ can be just one word in Welsh.

3 Likes

Oh yes!!! Thankyou!! This makes perfect sence!! (And orcorse something I have read before and completely forgotten) - learning the WHY of language really helps it make sense.

Much appreciated :grinning:

2 Likes

I’ve found SSiW extremely satisfying but I really like to understand the structure of a language. Recommend “Welsh in 12 (!) Weeks” by Phylip & Julie Brake. The other thing I’d like to say is that I started with Gogledd verswn and, after completing that, switched to Dde because the disbarth in Knighton I started last September was in that. It seems to me that the south diakect version is much richrr, especially Level 3. Is that because Aran’s from y dde? I noticec he prounounces the English if as iv!

Hi Lynne, Sorry to jump in on your post… i just wondered what classes were avalible in Knighton as I have just move to this area and would be interested in some face to face classes!

Aran is actually the speaker in the Northern course, while Iestyn is the speaker in the Southern version, and yes, he does sometimes pronounce English words very much as if they were Welsh :slight_smile:

Diddorol!