Will, would could and shoud

I am still grappling with the words for WILL, WOULD, COULD and SHOULD - particularly when I hear these words in programmes like POBL Y CWM. Can someone please list the “Carmarthenshire” Welsh words for the following:

I WILL
YOU WILL
HE WILL
SHE WILL
WE WILL
THEY WILL
YOU (PLURAL) WILL

I COULD
YOU COULD
HE COULD
SHE COULD
WE COULD
THEY COULD
YOU (PLURAL) COULD

I WOULD
YOU WOULD
HE WOULD
SHE WOULD
WE WOULD
THEY WOULD
YOU (PLURAL) WOULD

I SHOULD
YOU SHOULD
HE SHOULD
SHE SHOULD
WE SHOULD
THEY SHOULD
YOU (PLURAL) SHOULD

Shwmae @david-rees-4 - this is quite a lot to ask someone to do, especially without example sentences. We always believe it’s best that you learn forms gradually, hearing them used and getting a feel for them, rather than trying to learn them in a table like this.

However, I’ll give you one from each set in a sentence, plus a link to a basic online grammar, so you can enjoy researching the others yourself.

“I will” - bydda i’n mynd i’r siop yn y bore - “I will go to the shop in the morning” OR af i i’r siop yn y bore OR Na i fynd i’r siop yn y bore
“You could” - allet ti ddod gyda fi os ti’n moyn(S) or fedri di ddod efo fi os ti isio(N) - “you could come with me if you like”
“She would” - byddai hi’n hoffi dod hefyd(S) or basai hi’n licio dod hefyd(N) - “she would like to come too”

3 Likes

Yes - I understand what you are saying. What caused me to think about this was that I heard “MI WNA I” for I will on Pobl y Cwm

I will check out that link you posted for me

Diolch

Yes, that is a common saying, and literally it means I will do, from the future tense of gwneud. And herein lies the basic problem in the outset of your original question … “I will” is an auxilliary verb with little meaning by itself (other than flicking the switch that the rest of the sentence is in future tense), and in sentences such as “I will be in Spain next year” (as opposed to “I will do the dishes later on”), the Welsh translation will be different – Bydda i yn Sbaen flwyddyn nesa

1 Like

Thank you Hendrik.

So - “I will be in Spain next year” is “BYDDA I YN SBAEN FLWYDDYN NESA”

and - “I will do the shopping later on” will be “MI WNA I SIOPA WNES YM LAEN”

Gosh - it is a bit more complicated than I thought. Would the average Welsh speaker automatically know the difference?

It’s the same principle as the past tense in level 1 where you get roeddwn i and wnes i for “I was”, so thinking of it in that way might help.

And yes, Welsh speakers would automatically know the difference (but remember, they generally forgive learners and new speakers who get them confused initially!)

Mi wna i - I will (definitely) do

Using “mi” is more of a northern thing in speech. Fe - is the southern emphasiser … was the actor a northern accented person?

There are a few north Walian residents of Cwmderi in Pobol y Cŵm - Gaynor is one, Ffion is another, and Cheryl is the latest one to arrive so her accent is stronger.

The mi still tends to be used in north Wales, whereas the fe is rarely heard in south Wales any more. You’re more likely to see it written these days.

1 Like

Thank you Brynie. I have been reading the “Welsh Grammar Rules” that Deborah sent me and I note the use of Fe/Mi. Being a South-West Walian and really only interested in developing speech I will ignore the use of Fe.

Diolch - am ei reply

1 Like

Hi Deborah

I’m not sure which of those three actors spoke the phrase. Being a South-West Walian I am focusing on speech - so I will generally ignore Fe/Mi

I am enjoying reading through that file “Welsh Grammar- All Rules” that you suggested

Diolch eto

1 Like

My in-laws from SW still use ‘fe’ … Fe ddaw (It’ll come better)

Maybe its dying out in general especially amongst those not from first language families.

Ask your local teachers

Thanks brynie

Whereabouts in South Wales? I’m sure there must still be pockets of people who use it. I’d love to know where they are. I’m rather fond of it myself :slight_smile:

Diolch yn fawr, Deborah. O’n yr berfai o yr cwrs BBC defniddiol i fi hefyd.

Diana

1 Like

Can’t say I hear “Fe …” much myself, But I do hear Mi… a fair bit in the South. Mainly from Northerners or possibly school taught speakers. I’ve got to say that it sounds perfectly normal to me now. Also mutated verbs at the beginning of sentences, giving the game away that the “Mi” is silent.

1 Like

Hi Deborah

I live in Llanelli - with strong links to the village of Pwll

1 Like

Diolch John