Why does 'eisiau' mean 'need' in the south course?

Are new words like this in coirse 2 are better explained when they’re introduced? I am thinking of buying it.

The courses reflect different words or patterns used in the different regions. Whilst everything would be understood everywhere the courses introduce the words and phrases which would be natural in the region.

In this case it is the different pattern - eisiau I fi - which is part of the ‘need’ meaning - the same type of pattern as - rhaid I fi - meaning must. (The fact there is a different pattern avoids confusion with eisiau meaning want).

In general through the course a short explanation is given as to what could be used if it differs in some respect to what is taught.

The upside of the approach is that what you learn is ‘real’ versus a classroom or formal Welsh which feels like a good thing.

…in conversation you would use what people around you use - the idea being that you have a starting point which is much closer than it would be otherwise …

Rich

1 Like

For the explanation (which is sometimes better) you might go to old material and listen somewhere about the lesson 10. I believe (if I still remember correctly) that @Iestyn explains there why is this so. South version doesn’t use “angen” though as you know. Some of the eisiau is introduced also in Course 2 Lesson 5.

Level 2 provides eisie in Challenge 7 around 28:07 in context of “We need to discuss things.” and similar, but there’s nothing speciffically explained why this is so.

1 Like

In the South, people tend to use eisiau for need and moin/moyn for want.
eg Beth wyt ti’n moin? (Be ti’n moin?)

1 Like

Is ‘angen’ taught in the south course? I appreciate learning a more genuine style of Welsh however it’s confusing when it doesn’t match up to other resources or when you come across people who don’t use these more southern forms.

1 Like

Angen is covered in the Northern course as more of a Northern word…

The challenge is that a small numbers of words and phrases - small number to be emphasised - are said in different ways in different regions.

When starting in the first place ie trying to get your head around things - it is easier to learn one - and the one you are most likely to hear/ speak is a sensible starting point.

Having done one course, most have a little go at the other and personally I found the fact they were so similar as the thing that struck me - not the differences.

Hopefully I won’t get strung up for saying that the northern content is more similar to what you would find in a book.

I was raised in Brecon - more south than North geographically and so I chose the southern course.

However flipping to the Northern course after finishing the south I realised that the Welsh I remember was more similar to the Northern course (but I’m sure that could be different in other locations) so there is no straight line that can be drawn.

However, in the end you will end up knowing both(!) and there is no big difference between them…so I wouldn’t worry too much about it and go with the flow of what is covered in the course.

The great thing about the course is that it works!

Rich

4 Likes

Something I read today linked to eisau and rather than saying “want” or “need” it sugested a crossover to “in want of”. I liked that because dw’i eisiau for I want doesn’t need an yn or the apostrophe “n” because it’s built into the eisiau.

Also in the southern useage “in want of” coupled with gyda fi ot arna fi, matches up nicely with a real need.

2 Likes