Who talks to themselves and tries to translate everything

Of late i’ve found myself having conversations in welsh with myself eg when driving…“pete, ti angen troi i’r chwith rwan”…“effallai, wna i goginio pasta yn nes ymlaen, be’ wyt ti’n meddwl?” etc…then i’m listening to someone saying “i need to go out later” and i’m thinking “dwi angen mynd allan wedyn”.

This is perfectly normal isn’t it? :wink:

11 Likes

It’s normal for me…but then again I’ve often been told I’m completely bonkers! :wink:

6 Likes

This is very good practice, definitely worth doing :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I even caught myself translating that one into something more appropriate for the South - “mae ishe i fi fynd mas wedyn” and then started worrying about the mutation on the mynd so I then repeat it unmutated and thought - no, I’ll go with the first one.

2 Likes

The less you do this, the better… :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I know, but I do and I’m getting worse as time goes by - I even got in a twist last night when I read a comment from a teacher who wrote a comment “darllen yn da” and I was straight onto Cysill Ar-Lein to double check.

I’d say this would be a good thing for you to focus on getting rid of - it will cause you a load of extra stress, and stress is no good for learning… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Totally agree. I’ve stopped worrying about grammar a mutations…[ edit…yes that a is an and ] eg the odd i gets put in when its not required, i find i sometimes gofyn wrth and as for nasal mutations i just can’t get the hang of them…but yesterday for example me and clive were talking about traffic jams, history, mathematics, politics etc…and i came away thinking wow thats four to five hours of conversation in two days, another two hours on memrise, an hour of radio cymru and two lessons of SSIW.

Dwi’n wrth fy modd efo fy nghamgymeriadau :wink:

6 Likes

OK, yes, pretty normal behaviour for me. In addition I’ll also talk to my self in the style of… for example ‘you looking at me’, Taxi Driver but in Welsh, or I’ll be engaged i my own personal role play monologue. It’s all a bit like fantasy Welsh conversation in preparation for when more normal real conversation happens more regularly!

But then what I see my children do with nattering away to themselves with remarkable imaginative play conversations is just them unconsciously perfecting language skills. If it works for them…

4 Likes

Perfectly normal if you are married/partnered, have children/ grandchildren, dog, aged parent. Might as well get on with it, it’s a lifetime occupation😀

2 Likes

Talking to oneself is totally normal if you were an only child. Sometimes it is directed at the cat or one’s toys, but the habit of chatting when nobody else is there sticks! (Now it tends to be the TV or paper I talk to!) Language depends, Wenglish mainly!

I do that too. I also talk to my dog and cats in Welsh. If it is bonkers, then we are legion.:slight_smile:

5 Likes

Yes, but not out loud!

1 Like

I’m the youngest of 4, I regularly talked to myself, toys, the cat…it’s just normal behaviour for a child.

2 Likes

And I think thats the bones of what SSiW is about, children learn in this instinctive way listen, repeat, play with learnt words, repeat, learn more, listen, play, repeat…
. I was talking to one of my children the other day who was having ‘I hate learning French’ moment and all they’ve had since the beginning of term in school is lists of words to learn. Not much room for creative and imaginative play with a list maybe?

3 Likes

Exactly. I use memrise a lot to learn common words, but i then play around with them. Discovery is so much better than just being told. Hence the connection (cysylltiad) i made with ail and datblygu and then with cam and gor.

I try and incorporate various approaches. Memrise for new words (i don’t like making lists), radio cymru in the background, reading welsh threads on here, writing in welsh, a bit of welsh tv every now and again, Ssiw lessons still and speaking welsh in chat groups cafes etc.

Oh and talking to myself of course. :wink:

2 Likes

Yesterday I was reading an article which used the word ynglŷn several times - which I believe means “about, regarding, concerning”. The first time I saw it, I had to look it up. The next time I came across it, I had already forgotten the meaning and had to look it up again and it went on - the word was and is like teflon to me I just could not get it to stick. This morning I looked it up again. Today I realised it is almost always Ynglŷn â

I was thinking about this type of word and in this context it seems to be a word that in isolation has no strong tangible meaning. When you add an object it starts to make more sense and I wonder if some words can only really be learned through examples and building up a long term picture of the context in which they are used - Ynglŷn â’r mater - about the matter, referring to the matter. Also a word like this is not something I actually need at this stage for speaking, because I would probably incorrectly or not resort to “am” most times. Why say “ynglŷn â hynny”, when “am hynny” seems to say the same sort of thing most times or does it?

2 Likes

I mentioned elsewhere that one of my early memories is of lying in my pram, looking up at the canopy (a light cotton affair with a fringe, put up in summer to shade my eyes) and learning how to say “Dada”. I still remember the feeling when I came out with “Dadadadadadada!” I didn’t know the words for triumph, success, achievement…but I know now what the feeling was! All of those things!
All my life I have been infamous for talking too much! But I agree, we must talk to learn to say!

1 Like

Thanks to SSiW I am well versed in talking to myself, or to beings who cannot respond/complain (i.e. my rabbits and very young son). I constantly try to narrate what I’m doing or going to do as practice. Sadly I do not know anybody in person who speaks Welsh (unlikely there are many in York!) nor do I have any time to voice/video chat (unless anybody want’s to exchange email or instant message, since my only free time is when the rest of my family is asleep :slight_smile:) so this and listening to the challenges on my commute to work are all I get! I think that the self-conversations are the glue which holds it all together! Actually an honorable mention - perhaps once a day I say something yn Gymraeg to a work colleague and wait for a Mitchell and Webb style response before repeating in English :smile:

3 Likes

Gilydd is another one. Kinda means given back or returned, reciprocal but if you ask people, it’s only ever really used in phrases like gyda’n gilydd.

2 Likes