Where to overnight around Caernarfon

Planning a flying visit (erm literally) with one or two others to Y Gogledd over the bank holiday, landing at maybe Talybont, Llanbedr and Caernarfon and looking for a nice B&B probably after the Caernarfon stop on Sunday.

Caernarfon airport is in rather Ryan Air style not actually IN Caernarfon but on that sticky-outy bit by Dinas Dinlle but I suppose getting somewhere in a smaller place on a bank holiday weekend might be tricky?

Any personal recommendations or shall I TripAdvisor it…?

What are you flying, Leia? Are you a pro pilot or is this a hobby?

Regards

Rob

An X’Air Falcon, just for fun!

Oh wow - I’m jealous. Those shots above the clouds are amazing. What sort of altitude can you get in one of those? Is is classified as a microlight - full PPL required? One day I might look into something like this.

It’s a microlight yep. NPPL would do though I’m flying on a full PPL at the mo anyway because I used to share a Piper Tomahawk until someone flew her into the side of Pen-y-Fan in the snow a few years ago. The pilot was okay but the poor old tommyplane wasn’t!

The X’Air is a lot cheaper, a lot slower, a lot draughtier and a whole different sort of fun!

Altitude… when it gets cold stop going up… 8000’ is sensible max - we use road fuel and it can vapour lock higher than that.

Sounds ideal for the sort of distances you’re flying - and the photography opportunity is amazing. I just looked up some of its specs and see a cruising speed of around 50 kn, so a more leisurely pace than the piper, no doubt. Just watching X’Air flights on YouTube and you’ve got me hooked.

Hi Leia. We have stayed in the apartments on the front at Dinas Dinlle.It was comfortable and the people were friendly, with fantastic sea views across to the Rivals .
http://www.iknow-wales.co.uk/accommodation/14125-bryn_mor_beach_hotel_-_dinas_dinlle.htm

There is also a hotel virtually next door with an Indian restaurant but I haven’t stayed there so can’t comment really. I’m sure you will get lots of other B and B ideas from others

http://www.iknow-wales.co.uk/accommodation/14125-bryn_mor_beach_hotel_-_dinas_dinlle.htm

Good luck and have a great weekend. Sounds exciting!

1 Like

Leia, Caernarfon has a premier inn and a travelodge as well as lots of B&Bs because if its popularity with tourusts, so it’s a case of being spoilt for choice!

I’m cleaning for my Mam this morning so I can’t really have much quality Internet time, but I remember checking Caernarfon B&Bs on TripAdvisor for a friend a while ago and finding them quite useful. Pob lwc! :slight_smile:

1 Like

By the way, the famous Sioe Nefyn agricultural show in taking place on Monday if you fancy a trip to Pen Llyn! :wink:

Bontddu posted
Sounds ideal for the sort of distances you’re flying - and the photography opportunity is amazing. I just looked up some of its specs and see a cruising speed of around 50 kn, so a more leisurely pace than the piper, no doubt. Just watching X’Air flights on YouTube and you’ve got me hooked.

Yeah, you just have to be not in a hurry. And I never flew anywhere for the sake of getting there quicker soooooo not the point! The Falcon gets almost ten knots over the standard XAir so touches on 60knots especially when it’s just scrawny me but at any speed drifting about a sunny sky over this gorgeous gorgeous patch of world called Wales just can’t be beaten!

Cheers for the accommodation updates all - if nothing leaps out we’ll roll into to Caernarfon and search - we never book anything in advance because there’s always The possibility of weather or aircraft drama altering plans!

1 Like

By the way, the famous Sioe Nefyn agricultural show in taking place on Monday if you fancy a trip to Pen Llyn! :wink:

We’ll see how the headwind is looking coming back for time!