Where next after Level 3?

I’m very close to finishing Level 3 (South)!

Which is great! I know that I will likely revisit the challenges, especially those in Level 3, as I will always benefit from more exposure to/practice of the building grammar and vocabulary.

I’m also working through the whole thing in Automagic, really benefitting from the intense, non-stop model of practising stuff that I did some time ago now.

But what do I do after Level 3? I’m desperate not to let the momentum of my learning dip at all. I know there are the Advanced Challenges, but aren’t they ‘only’ listening exercises? The first few at least seem not to have any speaking element, and it is that which has undoubtedly cemented my learning.

My weekly Welsh speaking pal is in a similar position, and she has started the Old Course. I’m not against that at all - basically anything that builds on my current capability is welcome.

But, does anyone have any advice for how best to continue to take my learning forward in SSiW? I feel that I can say a lot, but there is still a ridiculous amount of both grammar learning/practice, and vocabulary, that I need to learn in the context of a structured model. Surely the SSiW course doesn’t just ‘stop’ where I am now?

All advice very gratefully received! Pasg Hapus i pawb!

Ben
:slightly_smiling_face:

Congratulations on finishing level 3!

Whilst there are no more SSiW levels, it really is worthwhile going through the Advanced listening materials because you will definitely come across vocabulary and dialects that aren’t in the course, and listening is a key part of using your Welsh.

Like your friend, many people choose to go through the old course. The material is presented differently and is not only a revision aid but can often spark ‘lightbulb’ moments!

Another thing some people have done is to go through the levels again but using the other version (i.e. north after south or vice versa). That can be useful in recognising differences where they occur so that they don’t confuse you when you come across them.

Outside of SSiW, lots of people decide to do evening-class-type classes offered across the country and online. These are usually more grammatically orientated and can help with reading and writing rather than speaking and listening.

The main thing to do, though, is use your Welsh whenever you can. That’s the real key to continuing improvement, so take every chance you get, either out and about or in online chats.

1 Like

I’m on unit 23 level 3 south and like you I’m close to finishing. I haven’t used Automagic as I primarily wanted to get through the 3 levels. May I ask what you think of Automagic as I haven’ looked at it yet.
The listening exercises are something that I want to work with when I finish unit 25, I also think that going back over level 3 will be beneficial to iron out some weaknesses.
I really have enjoyed SSiW alongside my Canolradd Dysgu Cymraeg course. It has taken my Welsh to a decent level so that I can converse fairly confidently.

Hi Bob

I’m just an inch ahead of you on Challenge 24!

I like Automagic. It covers pretty much the same material as in the Level challenges, but in a slightly different way, different combinations in sentences etc. It also has the bonus of you reading the Welsh text as you are saying it/the instructors are saying it to you. For me, having that subconscious visual element to the language is an additional aid. Automagic is also really good for a continuous bombardment of sentences that makes you work really hard all the time. It’s that pressure that puts you into the ‘10% discomfort’ zone that they reference regularly. I’m a real believer that it is an effective tool to aid your development.

Siaron’s advice above is, as always, very helpful, but I do think I will want to find another, new online learning course to ensure that I am doing daily practice. SSiW is perfect for me in that respect - I do a challenge fully through twice over an hour every day when I’m walking my dogs. It’s created a real discipline that I am desperate not to let slip.

You mentioned your Canolradd Dysgu Cymraeg course - is that online, and perhaps something that I should explore?

Ben

1 Like

It’s a pity SSIW isn’t having bootcamps ths year, because that would be a great next step. Perhaps you’ve been on one before? If you can spend a few days vounteering at the Eisteddfod that’s a pretty good work out. When I stopped going to conventional classes, in person, and got as far in exams as I wanted or needed to, I found myself a private tutor and we met up once a month, until Covid turned everyone’s lives upside down. I would write a few hundred words, on a topic of my choice (principally travels over several months in Asia) and then email it to him. Initially he would correct it and we would meet up to talk about my written work, and anything else that came up. Later on he would mark that there was a mistake and leave it to me to work out what the mistake was. If there were particularly persistent errors he would give me work sheets to work on, either at the time or before our next meeting.

2 Likes

I think there are two really important things you could do next. The first is putting yourself in a position where you have to speak more and to more people. Do you live in Wales? Could you take up an activity or do some volunteering where there are other Welsh speakers (e.g. choir, sports club, food bank, whatever…)? Your local Menter Iaith can be a good starting point to find out what’s on in your area. If not, can you join some of the online chat groups? Once people start asking you questions about yourself and/or chatting about things, you’ll notice where you don’t have the vocabulary that you want.

That’s where the second point comes in - you could start finding that vocabulary. Say you’re interested in sport, for example: as well as joining that 5-aside or netball team, you could try to read the sports reports on Golwg360 or BBC Cymru Fyw, and watching Sgorio on S4C (and/or the Sgorio YouTube channel), and listening to one of the Welsh-language sports podcasts (list of Welsh-language podcasts suitable for learners here: Y Pod - Podlediadau i Ddysgwyr - Podcasts for Welsh Learners). Practise some relevant sentences in your head, and when you get stuck look up the word that’s proving tricky in a good dictionary (e.g. the Ap Geiriaduron). For a while, I kept a little book with alphabetical tabs to keep track of new vocabulary. If sport’s not your thing (it’s not mine!), the same principle applies… If you don’t have one particular area you want to focus on, why not go for “subject of the month”?

You should find that by now you have the majority of grammatical structures that you need for normal conversation. If you want to delve a little deeper into the grammar side of things (not everyone does, and that’s fair enough), I heartily recommend “Basic Welsh Grammar” and “Intermediate Welsh Grammar” by Gareth King - they’re not cheap, but I really think they’re worth the money. (I wonder if there was ever an “Advanced Welsh Grammar”?) Others really rate his “Thinking Welsh” and “Working Welsh” as well.

Good luck!

1 Like

I’m in a similar position. When I finished L2 (new, south), I started the Old Course. After doing all 3 levels, now continuing on the new L3.

I found the old course did have those lightbulb moments. It helped me a lot with grammar and fixing ‘weaknesses’.

You would probably be able to power through a good amount of the Old course without needing to repeat, and there is a good amount of content in there too not in the new course especially as you get into L2 & L3. It will keep you going a bit longer anyway :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for all your suggestions, folks - greatly appreciated.

I will explore all of the above. I’m still already pining for something that is a hear, translate, hear the ideal model like SSiW. As I’ve said, I have such high regard for the educational effectiveness of the 3 Levels and know that I have achieved a degree of competence in spoken Welsh that I just can’t imagine having managed this quickly in pretty much any other environment.

But, I’ll definitely do the Old Course, whilst also trying to work through the Advanced Lessons. Then I might do the North Welsh course too, as that will further consolidate my learning and, I’m sure, help me to understand more depending on the dialect of people that I speak to when we move to Wales (hopefully by the end of the year).

Thanks again.

Ben

2 Likes