Where is your favourite place in Wales

I am lucky to live on Pen Llyn and everyday am overwhelmed by its beauty and varied landscapes. Beaches, forests, valleys and moorland all within a few miles.

5 Likes

My ā€˜Auntieā€™ and I used to go there whenever I was staying with her in decent weather. My dogs loved it too. We had all been, or still were, used to a beach you had a long climb down to or back from! Nowadays, Iā€™d never manage the cliffs, so Dinas Dinlle would be one of the few I could reach, if I were not in Yr Alban, of course!

1 Like

Anywhere rural that doesnā€™t have caravans on it.

Yes I know what you mean about long treks to get to the beach. I love that you can park right next to the beach at Dinas. Another good thing is that thereā€™s a Welsh-speaking restaurant nearby for when I finally pluck up courage to open my mouth.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s one of our dog-walking places - maybe weā€™ll see you there some timeā€¦ :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yes, maybe, and I will just HAVE to be brave enough to siarad Cymraeg at last :smile:

4 Likes

Aranā€™s not as scary to siarad efo as youā€™d imagine :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Dyffryn Conwy ac Eryri (Conwy Valley and Snowdonia).

2 Likes

I love all the places mentioned, and then thereā€™s my special place in the Berwyn Mountainsā€¦ Yesterday, rusty waterfalls were hurling off cliffs, the moors were splashed with bright snow, the sky was purple, and there was a howling gale on Cadair Bronwen (Bronwenā€™s Chair). Wales at its most elemental!

7 Likes

Mwnt is special to me now, too, for pretty much exactly the same reasons as Anthony. We went on our last day at bwtcamp and to be honest I wanted to go back to the centre as I was worn out and I knew we were going back to Aberteifi that evening so wanted to rest first. But it was so wild and windy and exhilarating on the headland. Sometimes now when I am feeling particularly hassled of trapped (eg on the tube) a vision of running up the hill pops into my mind (OK itā€™s possible I didnā€™t actually run up the hill but in my mind I did!).

I have lots of other special places in Wales but one which I think of immediately is Dyffryn Gardens in the Vale of Glamorgan. Starting when I was 12 my whole family took part in the first few open air theatre festivals (now in 35th year, having moved about a bit). As well as long weekends picnicing and rehearsing we stayed there the week of the play, and my brother and I got to know every inch of those gardens. It holds very precious memories of my Dad.

5 Likes

Too many places to list for me, but I will always have a try.

• Anywhere on the A487 and (then the) A470 up to North Wales
    I find that Wales is very much sold on its mountains/valleys, particularly those in the South (hell, its where I come from), but the mountains running from Mid to North Wales are very much under-sold despite their massive beauty. Better if anything than the South ones.
  • Ceredigion Coastline.
    From Borth in the North (poets, eh!) to Llangrannog in the South of the county and everywhere in between - some absolutely spectacular beaches here.
  • The Rhigos and Bwlch Mountains, Rhondda
    Got to get home on the list. Grab an ice cream from the vans at both of these places and have a look out. Awesome.
  • Caernarfon
    Absolutely love the town, despite only have been three times. Always amazed by how easy it is to use your Welsh there, in Tesco, in pubs, in the shops, everywhere!
7 Likes

Anywhere around Aberdaron. :heart:

5 Likes

We are definitely spoilt living in Wales. I couldnā€™t live anywhere else. So much beauty and variety everywhere you go . There is something special about the Lleyn Peninsula and I love the rugged beauty of Snowdonia . We have so many towns with their own unique character and atmosphere , some Welsh speaking and some not but all well worth a visit

6 Likes

In the 50ā€™s at university, it was Bangor and Snowdonia and the Menai Straits. In the 60ā€™s it was Pembrokeshire and Skomer, having worked there as a temporary Warden. Now, itā€™s Dyffryn Conwy, because I live there, and I thank God almost weekly, for having allowed me to move there. When I drive to Biwmares weekly for band practice, I revisit the beauty of the Straits that I first saw dros hanner cant yn Ć“l. Then, thereā€™s the Elan Valley we passed through last year. When does the list end?

8 Likes

Iā€™m with you Harvey. Iā€™ve changed my mind - my favourite place in Wales now starts on the M4 just after the older crossing and doesnā€™t finish until Iā€™m diving off the quayside at Caergybi, Anglesey. Itā€™s too difficult to choose - I even love the Gwasanaethau at Magwyr. Because youā€™re looking at Welsh grass, which is a nicer green than elsewhereā€¦

6 Likes

Threecliffs Bay, Gower. This is completely unspoilt. It is exactly the same as when I went there as a child sixty years ago. In my opinion it is the best bay in Gower

4 Likes

Yes, we used to go to Pobbles Bay, the other side of the arch from the little river. That was when we visited relations in Swansea sixty years ago. I am pleased to hear that it is still the same.

1 Like

Glad to hear no change!

Well actually I was going to say Pobbles Bay but I thought nobody would know where it was. I went there about twenty years ago with my children. The only difference from when I was a child is that the ā€œroadā€ - a very difficult track is now closed off at the village so itā€™s even harder to get there.

We used to go there every Sunday in the Summer - an hourā€™s drive from Port Talbot but well worth it.

1 Like

I remember the long trek down carrying a heavy picnic basket, deckchairs, blankets, towels and assorted bags. It was worth it when we got there. My Dad didnā€™t know why it was called Pobbles Bay, so we decided that the Pobble who has no toes had left his toes at the top of the beach and they had turned into pebbles. There is a photo somewhere of my brother, my sister and me, buried up to the waist and driving steam engines made of sand. It was lovely sand.
Sue

4 Likes