When to use mae'n

Hi,

Sometimes people say ‘mae’n’ and sometimes its the full ‘mae e’n/hi’n’. When is it ok to shorten it to just ‘mae’n’? I remember in French we were told its ok in speech to say ‘n’ instead of ‘un/une’ to save trying to remember the masculine/feminine. Is it the same in this case?

Thanks,

Andrew

Exactly the same case as your French example I’d say :slight_smile:

Yes, you can use the full version if you want to clarify who you are talking about, say if a man and a woman were in the room.

2 Likes

I’ve often heard and often say “ma fe” in these parts. Is that a colloquialism?

1 Like

Ma fe is what I’ve learnt from SSiW South for masculine!

1 Like

in French we were told its ok in speech to say ‘n’ instead of ‘un/une’

I haven’t heard of that one but I can see it might work if the following noun begins with a vowel or h. " 'n garçon" might find you out though. :smile:

1 Like

@HuwJones, my French teachers at school would have instantly guillotiné anyone saying such a thing!:sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Well if it’s ok with Michel thomas it’s ok with me :wink: thanks everyone for the replies.

As far as I know that is correct Welsh. That’s what we learnt in 90s Dosbarth Nos. Mae’n bwrw glaw etc. Mae e’n or mae hi’n to indicate gender. So we will have Ma instead of Mae

1 Like

Yes.

1 Like

Just read this thread, and it’s brilliant. Thankyou, you’ve put it very simply, and I understand ! Now I just have to remember to put it in the right place.

1 Like

Always, shorten everything :grinning:

1 Like

Rhondda example;

Sut mae’r seidr byti? (How’s the cider butty?)

Mae’n oreit like. (It’s alright like)

1 Like