What's outside

Another fantastic resource (adnodd) here

Llên Natur: Gwefan Natur i Bobl Cymru - Y Bywiadur (llennatur.cymru)
Directory for animals and plants … can search in welsh or english

“Teipiwch y term neu air yn Gymraeg neu Saesneg fan hyn.” Type the term in Welsh or English here

6 Likes

It’s been a very long time since I contributed to this thread!

Delor y Cnau - Nuthatch in the garden…

Ysguthan - Woodpigeon in the garden…

Teigr Cochddu - Ruby Tiger Moth

10 Likes

@CatrinLliarJones Dwli ar y telor 'na! :heart_eyes:

Wyddoch chi fod y delor cnau yn medru dringo (wel…cerdded) yn syth i lawr y rhisgl yn annhebyg i’r mwyafrif o adar yr ardd fel y dringwr bach (treecreeper)!?

1 Like

Nature Quiz (in Welsh)

Cwis: Enwau Cymraeg byd natur - BBC Cymru Fyw

2 Likes

Beginnings of this year’s Fall on a trail near Ottawa:

Chipmunk

Red-legged(?) grasshopper

9 Likes

A beautiful sunny morning today in Wytham Woods, close to Oxford / Rhydychen

6 Likes

Anyone seen one of these?

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/golden-eagle-casually-flies-suburban-28119331

There was a feral one in the Cambrian Mountains between Tregaron and Rhaeadr for several years, but I haven’t seen it for maybe half a decade by now.

You won’t see it now… someone shot it a few years ago…

It died a few years ago think it turned out to be a female.
It had been shot but it wasn’t the cause of death

That’s very sad. Makes you wonder how many owls and other birds that feed on mice and rats go the same way :frowning_face:

A gwalch/osprey nest was attacked and destroyed in the Hiraethog area not that long ago… sadly still some ignorant bloodlusty people about - with 1700s mindsets about wildlife

Dyma’r cerflun “Hare and Minotaur” ar y Promenade yn Cheltenham, Lloegr. Cafodd hi ei greu yn 1995, gan metel sgrap. Sophie Ryder ydr’r cerflynydd.

4 Likes

Cymdogion newydd wedi symud drws nesaf y bore 'ma. Croeso.

3 Likes

Frogs have begun mating early here in Rhydychen/Oxford and there’s already grifft / frogspawn in the garden pond.

3 Likes

Two types of fungi/ffwng seen today on the dead trunk of a wild cherry tree (or could they be different life stages of a single species of fungus??) @ramblingjohn?

4 Likes

The small brakets are likely phellinus pomaceus
The white lump looks like the slime mold
Enteridium lycoperdon which will develop a silver papery surface.
Cheers Jp

3 Likes

Diolch JP, that’s really interesting! It never occurred to me that the white lump might be a slime mold - I’ll must keep an eye on it and see how it develops

Not sure whether this is a Raven, Cigfran or a Carrion Crow, Brân Dyddyn. Anybody able to help?

1 Like

It looks like it might be a ydfran (rook) to me, Doug.

1 Like