What was the first thing you saw in Welsh.?

Ha! Innovative learning methods there Nicky. My earliest recollections are also from primary school (1962 onwards! - ahem). I remember Welsh words on card stuck to surfaces and items, e.g. drws, cwpwrdd, bwrdd-du etc. How strange that I can still see them all these years later.

3 Likes

I remember seeing the Welcome to Wales signs and the signs for motorway services, as we drove over the bridge on the the way to St Athan, in the early 70s.
I was 11 yrs old and about to start secondary school after the summer holidays.

2 Likes

I’m with Huw. Just after crossing the Severn going on holiday to Bryncrug (ger Tywyn, Sir Meirionnydd). I thought I’d have a go at saying Cymru. And it was obviously pronounced “Kimroo”. Most embarrassing moment of my life so far. I’m not sure if I want to top that…

2 Likes

15 years ago. Me and my Dad in the car waiting to cross the Severn Bridge:

Dad: Oh look, bilingual signs!
(puts on “Welsh” accent)
Man-Ned Toll …beautiful!

Me: Manned toll booth. Pretty sure that’s English, Dad.

7 Likes

@Sylv
Man Ned Toll means Ned Toll’s Place. Your Dad was right! :wink:

4 Likes

Being born and bred in Doncaster (of Welsh stock) I used to walk past a building on my way to school which had a sign outside saying ‘Eglwys Cymraeg yr Annibynwyr’ (if my memory serves me correctly - this was 50 years ago). I was fascinated to think that there were people in Yorkshire who spoke Welsh.

5 Likes

Annibynwyr as you probably know literally means “Independents”, although dictionaries render it as “Congregationalists”.

I thought they were a section of independent Methodists, but I’m no expert, except that I believe there used to be quite a number of different sections of non-conformist Protestantism in Wales.

My Father-in-Law used to say: “They take their religion very seriously in Wales”. He was talking of an earlier generation though. I gather that many chapels have closed and are still closing, which although I am not a believer myself, I find rather sad.

3 Likes

He was right, Mike. Wales used to be one of the most Christian countries in Europe. Now it’s probably one of the most heathen. The decline was co-terminous with the destruction of the Welsh language. Although the language is now undergoing a revival and resurgence, it is unlikely that people will suddenly regain their faith. Sad, I agree.

3 Likes

The first words I saw in Welsh were place names on signs. I was visiting friends in Wales as a student and they delighted in asking me as we were driving along - What was that place we just passed? - then falling about laughing when I replied - Er, something that started with some L’s and then had some more L’s and maybe finished with some L’s :smile:

3 Likes

Road signs on holiday - Llwybr Cyhoeddus, Cyfleusterau, and place names :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Living on the border I crossed it several times a day going to primary school on the bus and was always thrilled by the Welcome to Wales sign in Llanymynech a village in which the border runs through. Pubs in Wales didnt open on Sundays in those days and a pub in the village had a sign outside saying “Last pub in England open on Sunday” to warn those who wanted a drink on their journey (no breathalizers in those days!). The border ran through pub so one part was allowed to be open the other not, dont know how this was policed?

5 Likes

However, I’m pleased to say that I’m not so sure about that.

2 Likes

It’s difficult to say what the first thing I saw in Welsh was because long before I moved to live in Wales, my family had been coming on holiday to north Wales since I was a few months old. I no doubt saw signs and definitely noticed the place names.

However, when I was at junior school I remember noticing the sign board outside the Welsh chapel that was at the other end of the road where I lived in Manchester. I was particularly taken with the fact that Welsh was found outside Wales. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Huw Edwards has written an interesting history of the Welsh Chapels in London.
(“City Mission: The Story of London’s Welsh Chapels”)

I don’t own it, but borrowed it from the library.

I think at the time of writing, only one or two were still actually open and active as chapels.