What motivates you to learn Welsh? - a study by Cardiff University

Cardiff University is doing a research study on motivation amongst Welsh learners and is interested in hearing from as many Welsh learners / new speakers as possible. The research has been passed by the university ethics committee, and consists of an anonymous questionnaire.

The links to complete the questionnaire are:

English version

Welsh version

If you have any queries about the research, contact Jonathan Morris - morrisj17 [AT] cardiff.ac.uk - or Charlotte Brookfield - Brookfield [AT] brookfieldc [AT] cardiff.ac.uk

2 Likes

I completed this interesting questionnaire

1 Like

It makes you think! Anyone reading my answers might well wonder why on earth I am learning. Born in England, living in England, immediate family very English. (Cousins in Wales, but I haven’t seen them for many years and don’t know if they speak Welsh.) I am lucky if I get to Wales once or twice a year on coach holidays with a group of English speakers. My only Welsh-speaking friends are the other learners I have met through SSiW. Is a wish to read family gravestones and obituaries sufficient motivation? Surely not. Yet here I am.
Sue

6 Likes

Well, @Betterlatethan if you put it this way, you make me question my carrying on learning more than I did while answering myself to the questions (or do in general)! :rofl:

I think having Welsh heritage (or being born in Wales or living in Wales) is overrated - at least now we’re lucky enough to be able to communicate via internet so easily! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hi @gisella-albertini,
Anyone would think that you have even less reason to learn than I have - maybe they are not asking quite the right questions. Anyway, I am so happy that I did start learning. It has opened up a different world. You are right about the internet. It was a lifesaver during the initial stages of Covid and continues to be really important.
I sometimes doubt if I am contributing in any way to the language - but then I remember how many books I have bought through gwales.com. That must help.
Hwyl,
Sue

5 Likes

"I think having Welsh heritage (or being born in Wales or living in Wales) is overrated - at least now we’re lucky enough to be able to communicate via internet so easily! "

I totally agree, Gisella, and I say that as Hywel Dda’s great x 28 grandson. :smile:

I don’t think my own answers fitted any particular or consistent pattern. I hope the team find something useful in their survey though.

3 Likes