What counts as 80%?

So. I’m at the end of challenge 3. Not sure if ready to move on. Because I’m not sure if I’m getting 80% ish. I know that sounds odd , but a lot of my mistakes/ omissions are due to forgetting what was just said in English! Does this count? If I ignore those errors I reckon I am there 80% of the time and prob could mov on…
(Doing north Welsh so I can one day move to the Dolgellau area- though confusingly
Spent first 6 years of my life in Cardigan)

1 Like

I think the updated advice is to move on regardless and try to resist the urge to repeat lessons …

2 Likes

Agree! 80% is old advice! And Welcome, Croeso @vickyandrew!

2 Likes

Yep, keep on keeping on. I’m at level 12 now and I often forget half of what I’m supposed to say (darn those compound sentences). I’m already fluent at grumbling at @aran in both English and Dutch - looking forward to learning enough Welsh to diversify. :smiley:

It really does get frustrating, acknowledge that but don’t let it stop you. I feel like quitting all the time because my inner whiner thinks it’s all “too ha-a-a-a-a-a-a-ard”. I tell that voice (and the inner critic, and the inner perfectionist, and the inner pessimist): “I hear you. But I don’t believe you.”

Come back to the forum any time you need encouragement - it works for me anyway. Keep your eyes on the prize: we’re learning a beautiful, melodic, poetic language and we have so many people here cheering us on!

4 Likes

Yup, sorry about that - old advice - I’d now very strongly recommend that you push on through without repeating (unless you find it too psychologically distressing) - make a huge number of mistakes, and then when you finish Level 1, you can revisit earlier stuff if you still feel the need… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Excellent! Thanks guys! I got the 80% thing from challenge 1, but will keep going!

2 Likes

Back in 2015, I remember ploughing through (the old) Course 2 - Level 2 was not complete back then as I recall. I felt a bit guilty as I listened and spoke with my subsconscious mind controlling my ears and mouth, whilst doing other stuff on the computer with my eyes and hands. But I carried on making progress, so I can confirm that, for me at least, complete conscious attention is not required. It does take a bit of getting used to, though, to “let go” and allow the background layers of the brain to work their magic.

1 Like

Today I’ve learned to let go, relax and trust in the magic of the method, too. During a Challenge, I hit the pause button countless times, opened SSiW and SSiC in a second and third tab and looked up forgotten words in the vocabulary list (even in the lists of previous Challenges). It was utterly tedious…and at the end, I felt I was none the wiser, dissipated and tired. Then, I had the glorious idea to just try and not use the pause button…just for one lesson…for fun…accepting that I’ll do horribly…because a trial doesn’t count anyway. And you know what? - It was cool and I enjoyed to be “lazy” and tell myself that all my lapses and holes in the memory are actually good, helpful and necessary for the learning process! I call it badass-learning :muscle::nerd:

8 Likes

Well done Claudia! That sounds so much more positive! Sure you’ll fly now! :smile:

3 Likes

Ok guys. Thanks Will trust it and continue with mistakes

2 Likes

Doing my best to fly, Anthony, thanks a lot! :star2::rocket: Yes, you’re right, being positive helps a great deal.

Same here, Vicky…tons of mistakes and huge and long “ääähms” (Swiss German filler for missing words) :joy::flushed:

2 Likes

@vickyandrew Just soldier on, repeat, pause, skip, but just keep listening and soldiering on. I get stuck on some challenges more than others and in those early days of Level 1 had the same problem (not remembering even the English, let alone the Welsh!). You’ll win in the end by whatever method, as long as you keep going. I’m now Level 2 challenge 8 and not beating myself up about the fact that, probably, I ought to be much further on, considering I’ve got 2 hrs and 10 mins 3 x a week when I could devote myself entirely to SSiW. But it suits me to do it the way I do it. We’re all different, so just hang on in there and don’t worry about percentages, repeats, mistakes and so on. JUST DO IT and enjoy each triumph when it comes along. There’ll be more and more of those as you carry on, believe me.

2 Likes

Should one move on even they’re making a significant amount of mistakes? I’m trying to experiment with doing each challenge a single time without the pause button and then moving on regardless of how well I do, but I’m not sure if that’s a good approach

1 Like

Sounds OK on the face of it, especially if you are doing OK with your responses to the revision type sentences (i.e ones that are repeated from earlier challenges).

Someone else will probably be along shortly to confirm, but I had most satisfaction out of mishearing the English (say, Bought for Taught, or similar) and answering accordingly even though the correct answer was different.

So, personally I’d say: Keep going.

1 Like

@carolineparkinson That’s so positive, thank you. I’ve just stumbled through challenge 12 and am simply hoping it’s gone in … In spite of the stumbling I still enjoy it!!

2 Likes

As long as you’re saying something in almost every gap, my best guess by now is that it really doesn’t matter how many mistakes you’re making - especially if you’re noticing them!

1 Like