What am I reading: y gŵr hwb ddychymyg hwnnw?

Following links (as one does) I came across an interesting article/interview on BBC Cymru Fyw with Nia Edwards-Behi, a co-founder of the West Wales Anti-Racism Network Rhwydwaith Gwrth-Hiliaeth Gorllewin Cymru. The article was essentially contrasting the outrage over Rod Liddle and the naming of Dai the Bridge with the relative lack of outrage following the Aberaeron carnival blackface incident, and arguing amongst other things that Welsh-speaking Wales really ought to get more upset with Rod Liddle for, well, pretty much everything he writes, and not just when he’s explicitly bashing Welsh language and culture.

But I followed a link in the article to this piece on the site Y Twll by Nia, and got a bit lost on the first sentence. I tried looking up *hwb" and just got “a blow, a push” etc., which didn’t help me to make sense of it – so can anyone help me with the following:

Yn ddiweddar, ysgrifennwyd pethau cas am Gymru a’r Cymry gan y gŵr hwb ddychymyg hwnnw, Rod Liddle, yn dudalennau’r Sunday Times.
1 Like

I’d expect that’s a typo for ‘heb ddychymyg’… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I read that same article and got confused by exactly the same sentence. I agree it’s almost certainly a typo, as outlined by aran above.

2 Likes

I would take that as

“Recently, hateful things were written about Wales and the Welsh by that man without [any] imagination in the pages of the Sunday Times”

Assuming “hwb” should’ve been “heb”.

:smiley:

1 Like

Nothing to do with the meaning above, but I’ve taken it elsewhere to be the Welsh spelling of “hub” as in the centre of a virtual spoked wheel, like this forum :slight_smile:

1 Like

There was indeed a Sunday morning learners show on S4C a few years ago that once starred our very own Aran and Cat once, called Hwb.

2 Likes

Ah yes, the videos came up on my computer via something else on U-Tube. They were good and are probably still there.

They are, Hwb was quite good to be fair - I’m a big fan of Nia Parry and I liked the mix they had of a fluent speaker and a learner (in Matt Johnson).

Of course, sadly the show ended about 3/4 years before I even thought of learning Welsh.

1 Like

Yes, She seems to be such a nice person. Although not credited (as far as I know), I think she co-wrote the 1990’s WJEC/CBAC course “Dosbarth Nos”; precursor to Welsh for Adults" I still dip into the course book on a regular basis.

Yeah, I got the rest, but “hwb” for “heb” threw me till @aran elucidated. Not yet at the stage of spotting other people’s mistakes (including typos) in otherwise-better-than-I-can-manage Welsh!

1 Like