Welsh with kids

I understand but just to confirm it wasnt a ciricticm just an observation. I think the course is a revelation and I so would have welcomed something similar when I started learning in the mid eighties. The closest was Catchphrase on BBC Wales for 5 minutes 5 evenings a week and a 30 minute magazine and consolodation on Sundays. It started with the learners being a father and son from Cardiff and ran for three years before the format changed whereby a celebrity became the learner. I think I still have 100 cassette tape recordings which I did diligently every week, trouble is no cassette player now!

1 Like

And a big thankyou for the link!:smiley:

I listened to a lot of those as well.

For a long time, at least some of the audio was available on the BBC website. I’m not sure if there is much, if any, left now, although I have a feeling the text may still be there.

Actually, if you search this forum for “BBC Catchphrase”, you might find some interesting links.

1 Like

1 Like

Another weekend for the family coming up folks!
27-29 Hydref | October

2 Likes

Very common for children outside of where a language wont be bothered.

Especially in places outside of Cymru , you need to give your kids a deep family context as to why you are using Welsh. For example your surname Hughes is about as Welsh surnamed as it gets (ap Huw original) … other more selfish reasons can help (i.e. learning language is good for your brain etc)

To give another perspective, I grew up speaking Italian and English at home and I do the same with my children (living in England, speaking as much Italian as possible). My daughter went through a phase, when young, of telling me to speak English. She used to reply solely in English (it has begun to change recently).

I told her “You can speak to me in the language you want but you don’t get to tell me what language I can speak to you. I speak Italian because I grew up that way and I want to hear it.” And that policy of ‘anyone may speak whichever language they like in our house’ has remained - and I have not been told to speak English for years.

Don’t worry about persuading your children to speak another language, just make it a thing you do. Even if they reply in English, they will hear you and will learn to understand, and that’s a gift you can give them.

5 Likes

@julia-treen that is a fantastic way to deal with the issue, and I wish I’d thought of it when my children were small and very stubborn!

1 Like