Welsh Story

Diolch.

I believe this line should be written “Fory, dw i’n mynd i Kazakhstan, ond dw i ddim yn siarad Kazak.” Unless “Kazakhstan” is “The Kazakhstan”, you don’t need the “'r” after “mynd i” (someone correct me if this is a quirk that I haven’t come across yet). You do definitely need the “yn” before “siarad”, however. “Yn” goes with most verbs, and “dw i’n” in the negative is “dw i ddim yn”.

I’ve also heard in the lessons, “Mae e’n” becoming “Mae fe’n”, in other words the “e” becomes “fe” after “Mae”…which in my humble opinion is a lot easier to say… :smile:

3 Likes

Mae fe is more of a southernism (I believe in the north they would say fo), but yes, it does make it so much easier to say “Mae e…” in speech!

2 Likes

I will trust you, I wrote that after 3 hours of study, it was an experiment and nobody learning Welsh should trust one word of what I wrote.

1 Like

“Mae e” is the standard, there’s nothing wrong with it.

You will tend to hear “ma’ fe” in the South, but also, of course, “mae e”, if you see what I mean.

(I remember hearing my father saying “Mae e,” for “It is” once to someone before I had really started learning Welsh, and it really bringing home to me the different word order in Welsh!

2 Likes

My missus often says ‘Ydy, mae o’ for ‘Yes, it is’ (rather than just ‘ydy’) for emphasis.

1 Like

Thank you so much for showing @Jethrotullburgers and thank you, diolch, Jethro for signing!!

1 Like

You’re welcome.

1 Like