Welsh story card game for groups?

Pob lwc with the cards Owain, I bet they will turn out to be a wonderful resource! :slight_smile:

Stu

Diolch yn fawr, Stu!

I was strongly advised by a few people to do exactly that before mentioning it anywhere else, but I thought that sharing it with the Welsh language learning community was more important

Ow, we won’t do anything with them that you’re not happy about, and we’re more than happy to promote them on here if you decide to produce them yourself. The ideal would be to find a printer who could make them available on demand, but also include a payment to author - as blurb.com do for books…

Did you do any analysis or game theory to determine the card frequencies Owain? Its pretty interesting stuff, although I haven’t done the maths for years, but was messing about with the numbers for dominoes, which the game somewhat resembles. It doesn’t work out due to the nature of domino tiles (double-ended), but does give some insight.

Or did you use play testing to develop the number of each type of card in the set?

Hwyl,

Stu

A bit of both was used for various aspects of the game, Stu. Forgive me if I don’t go into the details!

Oh, and I don’t think anyone thought that LeiaFee was referring to your code, but when you say “any image or text on them” remember that images and text would be covered by it.

@Aran- Oh, I’m sure you wouldn’t! It’s just I am a very, very difficult person to work with! :wink:

@ whoever>As we can’t edit or delete our posts now, is there any chance of my original post being deleted? Beginning to rather regret putting it up, now.

S’mae Owain,

I only every intended to publish the code, if you read my posts! Please do not think I have anything other than trying to help at heart. The words “any image or text” refer to any image or text the user wishes to put on the cards. Your images would be copyrighted of course, but then only you have them.

Hwyl,

Stu

@ whoever>As we can’t edit or delete our posts now, is there any chance of my original post being deleted? Beginning to rather regret putting it up, now.

Why is that, Ow? Everyone here has been hugely supportive of the idea, and no-one has done anything to undermine it - Stu has clearly just been trying to make a valuable contribution to an excellent idea, and I hope you haven’t taken his efforts the wrong way.

I’m a bit confused by what you want to happen next - it seems as though you’re not keen on the idea of throwing it open to community input?

So, my current understanding is that you’d rather we didn’t get involved. If that changes at any point, let me know, but otherwise good luck with the project…:slight_smile:

Ok, first of all I want to say thanks to everyone who contributed all comments and advice on this thread.

Unfortunately, some warnings from various people considering the advisability of putting the idea on the web coincided with a rather sudden low period -which everyone else has, of course! Just want to make it clear that any regret came from what I did, not from the kind compliments on the rest of this thread.

Anyhow, after talking to a few people, some of whom see my point of view, some of whom don’t- par for the course! - I’m feeling much happier now. So sorry to anyone who might have been offended by the rather brisk tone of my last messages. Not meant to be aimed at anyone.

Anyway, though been looking into printing costs, both on demand and otherwise, the costs are so high I’ve decided that for the moment the best route to go down is to make this offer. I’d be happy to make them myself and send them out for just the price of postage.

If anyone would like a set of cards where you can make a nonsensical, (occasionally) humorous Welsh story, where the Welsh has been checked over by professional writers/translators - who seemed also to rather enjoy playing them! - and has been shown to be of interest and fun to groups of Welsh learners, with cards that are accompanied by some Curious and Remarkable Illustrations, drop me a line by pm and I’ll arrange finding out the postage costs and arrange to send some out to you for only the price of postage.

[Work on the honour system with payment. I’ll send them out to you, then when you receive them you can send me a cheque in the post back unless you want to pay some other way.]

So, there we are. Anyone still interested get in touch.

I’ve started another thread on this, [when I was in a better frame of mind ;-)]

https://site.saysomethingin.com/welsh/forum/405fbb36351d1afb?query=cards