Welsh National Eisteddfod Bae Caerdydd/Cardiff Bay 3 - 11/08/2018

I’m really enjoying my first Eisteddfod so far. One particular highlight was the Yoga class outside Tŷ Gwerin yesterday morning. Hyfryd! Well worth getting up early in the morning for. Looking forward to listening to some talks in the Science tent and in the Cymdeithasau tent today.

3 Likes

Thought I’d put the link up near the bottom again.

If anyone is free at 14:00 today, I’d recommend going to the Cymdeithas yr Iaith stand. My friend Jeff from Aberystwyth is taking part in a talk. He is a super inspirational guy, he turned up in Aber for university at 18 years old without knowing a word of Welsh - found out about the language, went and learnt it, moved into Pantycelyn Halls (famous Welsh speaking student halls), and then did his Masters and his PHD through the medium of Welsh and now works and lives in Welsh. I love the boy.

1 Like

Loving this… :heart:

Do you know any of them, or know how to get in touch with them? We were told a while back that they’d tried to get in touch with us (which didn’t ring any bells) and since then I’ve had a go at contacting some of them, without any luck…

2 Likes

Although I don’t know the man myself, I do see Richard Morse’s name on a lot of the Welsh learning groups representing Duolingo, have a look for him on Facebook - his avatar is usually a Dysgu Cymraeg picture.

1 Like

I absolutely loved my weekend at the Eisteddfod. It was my first time (and I realise it will be very different the next), but I got such a buzz from the whole thing. I also spent two days speaking almost only Welsh and I didn’t think I had it in me. The round trip from Bangor was definitely worth it. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

And by sheer coincidence and lovely timing, I just had an email from someone who’d been talking to him, with an email address, so that seems to be solved now… :slight_smile: Diolch ti boi :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Helen Prosser was the name of the lady that spoke. I’ll do a further brain-wrack … Jo from Cant a Mil was there, she’s good at people

1 Like

Read all the way through this post from Nicky and wondered when I am ever going to get to the end! When I got to the end I decided to read it all again!! Feeling really excited at going to my first eisteddfod. Coming down from London on Thursday (after a bit of a revolution from two of my children who said no to Wednesday evening). Going to go straight to help on the London Welsh Centre Stand from 2.00pm for a couple of hours so any SSiW’ers who want to learn about their London Welsh courses or what beers are sold in the bar, come over and say hello.

2 Likes

I’ll have to find this! I frequently propped up the bar at the centre, seeking some sanity when I was living in London.

1 Like

The LWC stall is No115 in the Craft in the Bay Area on Lloyd George Avenue if that makes sense.

1 Like

Richard is my tutor

Clearing up the Neuadd yr Urdd

OK, so I’ve got several messages relating to the Neuadd yr Urdd entries in the spreadsheet, so I thought I would try my best to clear it up.

A few people have gone looking for it and not found it, and gone to ask several staff/volunteers - and they’ve been none the wiser either - even more confusing is the fact that it doesn’t seem to appear on any maps.

When I put the spreadsheet together, I worked from the Official Programme, which is the £8 one you can buy from the Info desk. Which has the following info…

Now, I’m not sure if a stage name has changed, or anything since the printing, because I haven’t been to or tried to go to anything that has been held there yet.

I had Heulwen Davies’s “Mam Cymru” Tuesday 12:45 event listed as being there, but this was a genuine typo by me - and has now been corrected in the spreadsheet to Y Babell Len.

@Karla may know where it is, as she will be performing there. I think its supposed to be in the Millennium Centre, but I’ll wait for an answer before I confirm.

Sorry for any confusion caused, but just wanted to show the above photo.

1 Like

Oh, I was intending to go to a competition in the Neuadd yr Urdd. As the competition has been in the Pagoda for the last two years and I’m assuming this is part of the re-naming of everything to confuse us all. I did ask at one of the Information desks and they said it was inside the Millennium Centre to the right of the main stage, but they didn’t seem convinced themselves, but it made sense to me at the time with it being behind where the Urdd stand is. Now I’m not so sure…, it may be somewhere daft in town and not on the Maes at all?
Anyone definitely know?

I’m sure that if you stand where there is the shortest distance between the Senedd and the Pierhead building (Shwmae Caerdydd), looking at the Ffresh restaurant, pass it by on your left and that part of the MC is the Urdd Centre and I guess the Neuadd yr Urdd is through the doors about half way down the building.

2 Likes

This would make sense. Give it a whirl guys, if in doubt - ask the guys on the Urdd tent, hopefully they’ll know given its named after them :smiley:

1 Like

Neuadd Yr Urdd is in the Urdd Gobaith Cymru building just by the Millennium Centre

3 Likes

As Ali said, the Urdd Centre is ‘round the back’ of the millennium centre. It’s literally just a door and a sign so easy to miss.

It’s down this street between the back of the Millennium Centre and Ty Hywel.

3 Likes

Having a fantastic time so far. Bumped into @Hishiv several times and Macky from April Bwtcamp, and finally met @Nicky after enjoying I Fight Lions on the Maes yesterday afternoon.

Rounded off the day with seeing Candelas at Clwb (lots of teenagers going mad to the band and excitedly chatting away in Welsh was lovely to see) and a nightcap in Tiny Rebel on Womanby Street that was full of Cymdeithas yr Iaith people letting down steam and meeting the guy who made the Eisteddfod’s augmented reality app!

Looking forward to meeting more of you through the week! Anyone going to the refugees talk with Cymdeithas at 12 today?

3 Likes

Where is the refugees talk? I would be interested.

Thanks, @siaronjames! I’ve been wondering where it is myself…the information I’ve been given didn’t include directions, but I’d heard that it was around the back of the Canolfan Mileniwm…somewhere… :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like