Welsh Love Songs for Dydd Santes Dwynwen 💟

Every day this week, in celebration of Dydd Santes Dwynwen - 25/01/2023, we’ll be sharing with you a Welsh love song chosen especially for SSi by a Welsh celebrity. So keep a keen eye on this thread every day for an inspiring array of Welsh Love songs.

Please feel free to contribute to this thread by sharing your favourite Welsh love song with us. Diolch! :heart:

23/01/2023
Today renowned Welsh actress Sharon Morgan shares with us her favourite Welsh love song. Sharon is one of Wales’ most talented and prolific actors. With a diverse career which spans almost four decades Sharon is the winner of three BAFTA awards.

Sharon’s favourite Welsh Love song is ‘Tra Bo Dau’, sung here by Lowri Evans:

Sharon Morgan:

2 Likes

Sharon Morgan is a brilliant actress! I saw her first in “Martha, Jac a Sianco” based on Caryl Lewis’s novel and only last week in the latest series of “Yr Amgueddfa” on S4C clic - and if she’s in something then its definitely worth watching! Really like her choice of love song too, but my favourite version is this one by Plu :heart_eyes: Tra Bo Dau - Plu - YouTube

1 Like

Is it mischievous to say that I’m rather fond of Hywel Pitts’ Cân o’r galon?

1 Like

24/01/2023

Aled Hughes is one of Wales’ best loved radio presenters and his lively and informative morning show on Radio Cymru is a favourite among the SSiW community. As well as radio, Aled has appeared as a presenter on S4C and in 2021 his first novel ‘Hela’ was published.

Aled’s choice of love song to celebrate Santes Dwynwen is Môr o Gariad by Meic Stevens and here is what he has to say about it: “No, it’s not a love song as such, but a song about heartbreak. My argument is that it is a love song because without the love he wouldn’t have been able to write about the heartbreak. Even though it is a song about the end of a relationship, it conveys that incredible grip that love has.”

You can listen to MĂ´r o Gariad by Meic Stevens here:

Aled Hughes:

2 Likes