Welsh Girls Names

apologies, well spotted. I actually typed Alys but auto correct changed it to Sky’s.

I am starting to warm towards the name Alys now.

1 Like

I know a few people called Alys, lovely name!

As you have a few starting with “M” can I throw Manon in too?

Outside of Wales Francophiles may think of Manon des Sources, or Manon Lescaut, but that’s probably OK. (Just so long as I don’t earworm myself with the theme from Forza/the Stella ads before I visit Caernarfon…)

1 Like

Ah! That’s what I thought, though I didn’t guess that it was a typo for Alys.

I’m quite late to the conversation, but I’ve heard that you can shorten Gwenllian to Llian or Llio. Apparently Llian means flaxen… but obviously there are people who are more knowledgeable who are suggesting Llian isn’t a good idea, so I’d take their advice! But it’s very interesting. I find names absolutely fascinating!

Some of my favourite Welsh girls names are included in this list…
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/lifestyle/fun-stuff/24-beautiful-welsh-girls-names-9663823

So what do you think of Lluan then? As opposed to Llian which as already been discussed above.

Lluan I think I read somewhere was a daughter of Brychan a 5th century king.

Have anyone here come across a Lluan before? And is it pronounced the same way as Llian?

Diolch

To be honest, I’ve not come across anyone called Lluan, but I do rather like the name.

It is pronounced almost identically to llian (LL-ee-an) - with the stress on the ‘ee’. Technically the u is a slightly darker sounding ee than an i is in some dialects (easier to hear than to describe!), but generally the difference is too subtle to worry about.

As others have said, you might expect those not familiar with Welsh phonetics to pronounce it as loo-an or loo-an (bold indicates stressed syllable), but then, what a great chance to introduce them to Welsh phonetics! :wink:

One other point - just trying to cover all ‘nickname’ bases - tylluan is a Welsh word for owl. I’ve no idea if this is linked to the name or just coincidence, but worth bearing in mind perhaps.

2 Likes

Mai

We will probably be going with Mai as a middle name.

Here is my question to all you language history buffs out there…

Mai or May… which originated first?
I often think with similar words with Welsh and English which one is the oldest.

1 Like

It’s interesting. Both derive from the Latin Majus, Maius mensis which itself could have come from Maja, Maia, a Roman earth goddess (wife of Vulcan).
However, the spellings in both Welsh and English have changed over the centuries.
Mey and Mei is recorded in Welsh of the 13th century but Mai is recorded in Welsh of the 14th century onwards.
Mai is recorded in English in the early 12th century but comes from the old French spelling. The equivalent month in old English before that was þrimilce.

So as far as spelling goes, I guess we can say Mai originated first :wink:

2 Likes