Welsh for Adults after level 2

Great news! Diolch!

:slight_smile: Ah right, better start dropping hints (well, downright blatant requests, actually…).

2 Likes

Poo, I was hoping to have progressed beyond intermediate by the end of the year. When does ‘Hard grammar exercises for swots’ come out?

3 Likes

:smiley:

I’ve just this very morning added a jolly nasty exercise on the end of Unit 40, if that’s any consolation…

4 Likes

Thanks for the advice! So I’ve registered for Uwch 2. I’m looking forward to it.

I haven’t been able to come across a course book at the advanced level.
Is there a reason why they made course canolradd (the blue one) the last in the series? This maybe cynical but is it because they want people to pay for a course?

1 Like

What I gathered last week is that there is no ‘course book’ for Uwch. There is a new ‘workbook’ for Uwch un, apparently there will be one for Uwch 2 for next term. Or you could just invest in one of Mr King’s bestsellers.

2 Likes

I should have specified. I meant books specifically for advanced learners which you can buy in shops and learn by yourself. I haven’t been able to find any?

1 Like

They don’t exist for Uwch. I know the ones you mean as I’ve seen the Mynediad, Sylfaen and Canolradd Welsh for Adults course books in the shops.

1 Like

The teachers explanations of words we didn’t understand tonight just brought back so many Bwtcamp memories; Seren wib = Shooting Star. Though the effect was often ruined by someone shouting out ‘ah like thrashed in English’

I was a bit freaked out though when the conjugations of gan were explained. It was ‘gyda’ I needed more of an explanation of!
Interestingly a lady from thsi area remembered a childhood song with ‘gan’ in, which she had forgotten, but the teacher remembered it and burst into song! I’m obviously in the right place.

2 Likes

I’m halfway through Uwch 1. I am enjoying it as it’s spending two and a half hours a week speaking Welsh to people and talking about the language. I’m picking up vocabulary and bits of grammar and I understand more of why things are said the way they are rather than just be able to say them.
However having only the one class a week progress is painfully slow progress compared to going through SSiW. I’m probably learning more with listening, reading and speaking to people. I think many people are slow to learn with Welsh For Adults as once or twice a week isn’t enough, you need to find time for Welsh every day.

However I’ve just done an intensive weekend in Pontypool, which was really good, with well structured lessons and exercises, so even if you are not doing the regular courses, these weekends are a really good option and my tutor for the weekend was an ex-Sali Mali; how cool is is to have Welsh lessons from Sali Mali [and I wonder now how many Sali Mali’s there are! how do they regenerate?] It was strange in that learners of every level were there, a mass of around 130 Welsh learners, from mynediad upwards is quite wonderful really.

Really Welsh for Adults works well for Uwch upwards, so there is no reason not to add it your mix of learning once you are happy with Popeth yn Cymraeg, then you are learning anyway simply by spending the hours in Welsh (though complex grammar questions can turn into English discussions). If you’ve finished the challenges, then there is no harm in finding an Uwch group, Though some tutors do give you the eye for using licio!

6 Likes

That’s what I did a few years ago - I agree it works really well. (And I still haven’t forgotten the butterflies in my stomach going into an Uwch classroom for my first ever Welsh class!)

Re: books for swots :wink: I’ve just treated myself to a few from the Welsh Books Council (www.gwales.com - they give a cut of your purchase to your nominated independent bookshop):

• Peter Wynne Thomas: Gramadeg y Gymraeg (this is full on, all in Welsh; more for written than spoken Welsh? Reference book, not workbook)
  • J. Elwyn Hughes: Canllawiau Ysgrifennu Cymraeg (Some useful stuff in here like sample letters; good for work Welsh)
  • Heini Gruffudd: Dechrau Cyfieithu (I have no aspirations to being a translator, but this was the closest I could get to more advanced writing exercises)
  • Gwyn Thomas: Ymarfer Ysgrifennu (Formal, written Welsh; explains those tricky little things like where to use ‘y’ and where ‘a’ to join sentences; doesn’t have exercises and answers, though)
3 Likes