Welsh conversation in Cardigan

Help!! Where can I practise my new Welsh near Cardigan?

Tagging @iestyn for some ‘fairly local’ knowledge here…:slight_smile:

Hi @katharinebrookes!

There’s a weekly CYD meeting (new speakers and from-birth speakers) in the Fisherman’s Rest, by the Coop carpark (I have a feeling it;s not a Coop any more actually - the lower, floods-at-high-tide carpark), and a good Welsh bookshop (Awen Teifi) in the town. You’ll hear a lot of Welsh about the place as well, and there are some (though not that many) shops where Welsh is spoken - the chippy beside the Guild hall is good.

Further afield, Crymych is good for speaking Welsh - it’s one of the Welshest places in the South West, and the ty rooms in Cenarth - Tŷ Te on the Carmarthenshire side of the bridge - is Welsh speaking.

Also, fir general info and activities, it’s worth looking at http://dysgu.com/ where you will find a list of chat groups, the walkers’ group and be able to sign up to the newsletter to get regular news emails

Hope that’s enough to keep you going for a bit at least!

Iestyn

3 Likes

@Iestyn Didn’t we meet up with a group (possibly CYD) at the cafe in the Theatr Mwldan from our Tresaith bootcamp base or was that just a special arrangement?

2 Likes

Same CYD, moved from the Mwldan to the Fisherman’s Rest a while ago, more space and better acoustics.

2 Likes

Yes, and yes!

1 Like

I met up with CYD a fortnight ago when I had a Welsh-speaking visitor staying with me - still a very friendly group!

There is also a walking group called Cerddwyr Cylch Teifi that arranges walks once a month in the area, and they are all in Welsh.

2 Likes

Cant help I’m afraid but this seemed perfect place to say that I just found our my mums friend in cardigan knows @Iestyn iestyn pretty well and had met some of the boot campers!Small world!

2 Likes