Welsh carols

Theres a bilingual carol service in the local village in a few weeks. I’m just getting to the end of course 1 but I can’t read Welsh because as instructed i’m concentrating on speaking and listening. I’d really like to learn some of the Welsh carols. Could anyone record them like a lesson?

Do you mean break them down and put them into the kind of gradually built structure we do in the lessons? That’s something we’d like to do at some point, but it’s a huge job - basically as challenging as writing one of the lessons in the first place - although if all goes well with the algorithm we’re working on, we might be in a position to do more of this kind of stuff next year.

But if you mean just record them, so that you can listen to them (perhaps while reading them, which is a good way for someone at the end of Course 1 to start to get to grips with reading), then I’m sure we could dig out a few volunteers - which carols are in the service? :sunny:

All Through The Night (Original Version)"
Holl amrantau’r sêr ddywedant
Ar hyd y nos
“Dyma’r ffordd i fro gogoniant,”
Ar hyd y nos.
Golau arall yw tywyllwch
I arddangos gwir brydferthwch
Teulu’r nefoedd mewn tawelwch
Ar hyd y nos.

O mor siriol, gwena seren
Ar hyd y nos
I oleuo’i chwaer ddaearen
Ar hyd y nos.
Nos yw henaint pan ddaw cystudd
Ond i harddu dyn a’i hwyrddydd
Rhown ein golau gwan i’n gilydd
Ar hyd y nos.

O mor siriol, gwena seren
Ar hyd y nos
I oleuo’i chwaer ddaearen
Ar hyd y nos.
Nos yw henaint pan ddaw cystudd
Ond i harddu dyn a’i hwyrddydd
Rhown ein golau gwan i’n gilydd
Ar hyd y nos

Yikes! Should read “Original Version”, shouldn’t it? =-O

2 Likes

Sorted!!!

Thanks so much for your help. Yes I did mean record them like a lesson but I realise that is a lot of work and actually as my Welsh improves I should be able to read them anyway. Hearing them along with the words is actually just as helpful at the moment. So if anyone feels like singing to me…!

If you can let us know what carols they are, I’m sure we’ll be able to dig out quite a few versions on YouTube, and clarify any bits of content you need :sunny:

I too am trying to learn a Welsh song, it isn’t a carol outright, but seems to be popular at Christmas, Suo Gan. There are versions of people singing it, but I would really appreciate a version without instrumentation and a clear voice so I can be sure I’m singing it correctly as I am not yet able to confidently read Welsh either.