Welsh Bible Exhibition - Port Talbot

In 1962, my family moved from Liverpool to Corwen, where I immediately had to deal with the Welsh language in school. Every morning we recited the Lord’s Prayer and I have never forgotten the words. This is a shortened version (as found in Luke 11: 2-4), but the version in Matthew adds “Canys eiddot ti yw’r deyrnas, y nerth a’r gogoniant, yn oes oesoedd, Amen.” I particularly loved the phrase “yn oes oesoedd”. If anyone would like to see a 1588 Bishop William Morgan Bible, plus a 1567 Salesbury New Testament, a 1620 revision, a 1630 Beibl Bach, and many more up to Mary Jones’ era, I will be helping at a Welsh Bible exhibition from 5 - 10 August, 11am - 6pm, at the Best Western Aberavon Beach Hotel, Port Talbot, SA12 6QP. It highlights the importance of the Welsh Bible to the language, education and culture of Wales. Amazing!

(Moved to new topic by Moderator)

The exhibition is a private collection of important original Welsh Bibles from the 1567 Salesbury New Testament and the 1588 Bishop William Morgan Bible through to the early 1800s and Mary Jones. The information is in Welsh and English, and explains the role of the Bible in helping to preserve the Welsh language, its widespread use in education through the circulating schools, and its influence through Mary Jones in the formation of the British and Foreign Bible Society in 1804. Everyone finds it very interesting (and it’s school curriculum stuff too!), so hope to see you there! Dewch draw, wela i chi yno!

3 Likes