We didn't

Hi,
I thought I remembered “We didn’t know” as, “Dan i ddim yn gwybod” but in the current lesson it’s
“Doeddwn ni ddim” (not sure of the spelling, maybe it’s doeddan?) Did I just mis- remember it from a previous lesson? Or can it be said both ways? Does it depend on context? Thanks for any insight.
~Priscilla

1 Like

Hi Priscilla,

The Do’n in D’on i ddim - is an abbreviation of doeddwn i ddim. The longer version is more formal and rarely heard in regular speach.

Rich :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ohhhh! Duh! Wow! I totally didn’t see that, thank you, that’s very helpful. Is there someplace where I can see the forms of I didn’t, You didn’t, We didn’t, They didn’t etc all together on this site?

1 Like

Also is “dan i” the same as “don i?”

I’ve just noticed your original question was about the ‘we’ form whilst my answer was about ‘I’ form, although the same principle applies.

Dan ni ddim or Dyn ni ddim are spoken forms (=abbreviated! :grin:) of Dydyn ni ddim - ‘we do not’.

So that is a present tense, negative form if there is a ddim .

Don ni ddim or, non abbreviated, Doedden ni ddim - is the ‘were’ tense - and so reflects something in the past, negative form again.

1 Like

Have you found the vocab for the lessons? There is a link under the lessons on the website and a red speech bubble on the iPhone App.

It is handy to use these because the spellings match the dialect in the lessons.

1 Like