Voice and text out of sync

In challenge 6 the voices are a bit behind so everytime he finally finishes speaking the English sentence it disappears almost right away. There’s almost no time to speak it yourself before it goes from the screen. The challenge starts in sync but then later on goes out of sync. Then back in sync and finally out again.
I hope the next challenges are ok because I just paid for this now. The first 5 that were free, were just fine.
It also bugs me a little bit that here usted is used for the 2nd person instead of “tu” like is normal in Spain.

1 Like

Hi,

I’ve just had a look through Spanish Level 1 Challenge 6, checking every few minutes, and I couldn’t find any examples of this happening. Could you give examples of time offsets when it’s happening for you? Wondering whether this might be a playback issue at your end, since (due to the way the videos are generated) this also isn’t a failure mode I would’ve expected :slight_smile:

As for the use of usted, @gabycortinas is probably the best guy to answer this, but my understanding is that this is taught because it’s the formal “you” (which is also used in Spain!) and it was decided to introduce the formal ‘you’ first… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Exactly, USTED is the formal “you” and it’s the one you’ll use most of the time with people you don’t know, in a formal situation, at the store, airport, etc. The same is true in French, Italian, German, an other languages.

2 Likes

I had a quick look again and now it seems fine.
Don’t know what the problem was…

I took classes in Spain and usted was taught alongside the more frequent tu. I think usted is more common in some latino countries, but I almost never hear it in Spain. I’ve been living in Valencia for a few months. I think it’s mostly used by some people when they’re speaking to the elders. I’ve had usted used in formal/official letters. But in casual everyday communications they don’t seem to use it.
For me, I didn’t concentrate much on the usted because I look at formality as something that I would learn later on when I have some basic knowledge of the language. But hey, I’m from Iceland! We don’t do much formality here :blush:. I would address my president by his first name.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum! How interesting having an Icelander learning Spanish here… :slight_smile: You’d better watch out, though - for some reason, quite a few of our Welsh learners over on that side of things are interested in Icelandic…:wink:

If you want to use the ‘tu’ forms the whole way through instead of ‘usted’, that’s fine, go for it - you’re not meant to get these lessons ‘right’ so much as just give your brain the exposure to the patterns… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank for your reply!
I noticed that the next challenge also started lagging a bit, but if I restarted and went back to where I was, then it was in sync again.

Let me know if you´re interested in having Icelandic lessons on your site!

2 Likes

We would love to do that, once our course creation tool is ready… :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

1 Like