Video: a technique for improving your confidence in speaking Welsh

I’d seen this as being helpful mostly for people who aren’t already on this forum!

But @helenlindsay said it would be helpful to link to it here as well, so here you go…

8 Likes

And here’s the follow up tip for understanding (again, not new to anyone on here!):

7 Likes

The “How to improve your listening skills” video seems to have been made for me! An hour a day for 5 days? Dunno if I can quite manage that, but certainly it’s worth trying.

2 Likes

Is it the five listening practices in the Old Course 3 that I should be listening to, please?

In the new Level 1. The listening exercises after Challenges 10, 15, 20 and 25 are all at double speed.

Otherwise use anything else you have in Welsh that you can speed up - that you are familiar with. I’ve used material from other courses and audio versions of children’s stories. It really works - after a short while, everyone seems to be talking more slowly!

3 Likes

Yup, the new Level 1, as Helen said - and thanks for that excellent and comprehensive answer, @helenlindsay :star: :star2:

Maybe you should really publish almost everything on here too since you never know who is using only forum, who is usng some other networks etc … There’s always someone out there who misses one thing on one platform and grabs it on another if to disposal. (just a thought not more) … :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Aran, I think…
Those listening exercises are the reason I am now the minutes secretary of the Owain Glyndŵr Centre management committee in Machynlleth. I blame you! :wink:
(Well my title is Secretary, but I actually make notes in a mixture of Welsh and English, type them up as best I can, and then the Chairman goes over them to put them into proper formal Welsh).

3 Likes

Diolch - you just made my day… :slight_smile: :star: :star2: Prowd iawn ohonot ti! :thumbsup: :fireworks:

1 Like

Aran, this couldn’t have come at a better time for me! I was sitting here reflecting on my last couple of Skype conversations, both of which had left me with the sinking feeling that I would never be able to speak Welsh if I couldn’t overcome the dreaded blackout panic syndrome, when up popped this video with exactly the advice I needed. I will start straight away.:fireworks: Brilliant!

2 Likes

It’s terrific to hear that, Janet! :star2:

Do let me know how it works out for you… :slight_smile:

1 Like

THE CRACK OF DOOM… Is rescue on the way, SOON??

1 Like

You’ve no idea how hard I had to struggle not to sing ‘Da-da-daaaaaaa!’

It’s no laughing matter…

2 Likes

Now there’s something cut from a different cloth… :smiley: :smiley::slight_smile:

1 Like

So are you planning to produce videos for the whole course Aran? I am about to start a new batch of beginners in a couple of weeks. I will be doing my annual ‘this is the absolutely best way to learn’ spiel. But I recall in your summary you said a small percentage need other learning methods.

1 Like

Yup - but it’s a fair old lump of work, so it’s going to take a while (for Welsh - all our new stuff will be coming out with videos as well).

1 Like

Great! I will have fun watching what is already there and fine tuning my spiel. :blush:

1 Like

And here’s the third video in this series - which also leads into an explanation of how to use our new 6 Month Welsh Speaker course (which is for beginners and early intermediates, not our more advanced learners - sorry - but we will have something for you in the not-too-distant future!)…

2 Likes