Tydy/tydyn nhw

Bore da, This week I’ve been going through old course vocab 5 Northern and Aran introduces us to tydy ( isn’t it)
“mae’r tywydd yn braf heddiw tydy” = the weather is fine today isn’t it, I think I can use tydy at the beginning of sentences too as in “tydy’r y tywydd yn braf heddiw” = isn’t the weather fine today.
Now my main question is, in level 2 new course Aran mentions “tydyn nhw” = don’t they, so I got thinking can i use tydyn ni for don’t we?
Also is there an equivalent for he/she/polite, and final question is tydy and tydyn the same (hope this makes sense lol) diolch

4 Likes

Yes. - but I believe ‘we’ is often shortened to just dyn (on’d dyn ni)
dydyn - we/they are not - works in context

dyn ni = we are (dan ni - gwynedd … den ni in NE and Mid Wales (isolated kingdom things))

dydych - plural you (dialect: dydach in gwynedd/dydech - NE Wales)
ALL ARE UNDERSTOOD - learners shouldn’t be slowed by the slightest speech variations.

Here is a ‘rhestr gynhwysfawr’ / a comprehensive list of ‘Cynffoneiriau’ - Tags (tailwords)

The northern use of ‘tydy’ is a simplified version in speech. I assume its shortened from ‘onid ydy hi’ - in this case

Notice the use of D’oes with Oes related sentences

Ask Dr Gramadeg: Cynffoneiriau / Tags – Parallel.cymru: Bilingual Welsh digital magazine

Using tags is a great way to cement your fluency and proficiency. Advanced learners need to pay attention to it but it shouldnt scare off new learners or those half way to fluency. Better to get the bones sorted out first

2 Likes

So it looks like the t and y are omitted to shorten, it does make sense, that’s brilliant, thank you

1 Like

yeah…seems the dy is dropped for “we”
these shortenings in speech can seem confusing but hopefully in the long term you will love the lazy shortcuts to get to the point quicker! :smiley:

I will let people better at Welsh grammar give a perfect answer but

Rydyn ni’n mwynhau tywydd da, dydyn? - that seems to make sense but in speech … its ‘dyn ni’ (standard spelling) I see

(gwynedd speech) dan ni’n mwynhau tywydd da, dan ni

Happy to be corrected by others, but what is 100% true is that Welsh is similar to all languages. People shorten in speech words they wouldnt dare in formal writing :smiley: (Going to = gonna etc)

Further to this, dialects can sound different similar to the way that old English dialects used to be spelt but these have generally been cleansed out by standard English created by London educational institutions. For example theres lancashire dialect written down in Manchester Library books from the 1700s that I can barely read but I digress!

1 Like