Two questions on Mae and Gofyn wrthort ti

It have just started on Challenge 12 but have two questions, if any one can explain a simply version of why they are used the way they are in Challenge 11, please?

Firstly, on looking up the translation of mae, I note it means = there is. However, is there a reason why this is used at the start of a sentence ie: yr dyn ifanc or Mae’r dyn isio…

Secondly, gofyn wrthort ti. Why is it split when you add a word - (something) for example. gofyn rhywbeth wrthort ti.

2 Likes

Different languages have a different normal word order. Latin and German, for example, put the verb at the end of the sentence. English goes subject -verb-object, as the young man (subject) sees (verb) the dog (object). Welsh is one of the languages that goes verb-subject-object, literally: sees the young man the dog. Mae, is a verb so it normally goes at the start of the sentence. The man is young in Welsh is Mae’r dyn yn ifanc.
In English you ask someone a question but in Welsh you ask a question to someone. I ask you is Dwi’n gofyn i ti. I ask you something is Dwi’n gofyn rhywbeth i ti. ( i ask something to you)… Normally you say something with somone in Welsh (not to as in English) hence dweud wrthot ti. But you ask to someone gofyn i ti.

1 Like

The gog types do use ‘gofyn wrth’ when they feel like it, so you have to be careful with them - as usual :wink: :smile:

@jan-hutchins - I find older (posher) forms of saying things in English often map quite well to Welsh - think costume drama e.g.

May I ask you?
May I ask something of you?

As per the explanation above Mae indicates the present tense when talking about a thing or a third person.

Mae’r ci yn yr ardd. The dog is in the garden
Mae ci yn yr ardd. There is a dog in the garden

So Mae does not mean ‘there’ in itself - but if there is no ‘the’ in the sentence - then the equivalent English translation has it - if you understand what I mean!

Rich :slight_smile:

1 Like

In fact, in colloquial Welsh, particularly in the north, people might throw a there (yna) in for good measure:
Mae 'na gi yn yr ardd. (note that the sound at the end of yna causes the beginning of the following word to go all soft)

2 Likes

Thanks Darian and Rich for your prompt response to my questions. This is now a little clearer to me.
Diolch yn fawr

Jan