Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

You’ll find that even those who use the mae ffrind gyda fi form for shortish sentences, sometimes use the mae gyda fi ffrind form without thinking when they say something longer.

An exchange such as:

Mae ffrind gyda fi sy’n moyn dysgu Cymraeg.
Da iawn! Mae gyda fi ffrind sy’n moyn dysgu Cymraeg hefyd!

would sound completely natural in the south, but it’s hard to say where one form is used more than the other. It tends to be personal choice.

2 Likes

Thank you, that’s helpful. I should try to be more relaxed about this sort of thing, but it is only neuroses that are keeping me together.

3 Likes

I learned, before SSIW, Mae … gyda fi, here in the south, so it’s what I use.

Writing anything online is fraught with misinterpretation and there is always the problem of misconstrued tonality on top. Fel y mae/ It is what it is!

1 Like

Hi, is all of the earlier content: Challenges, old course and advanced content, other languages etc, still available, please? All I seem to have on my screen (website, not app), is this forum and Automagic (which I love).
Cheers,
John.

Yes, the content is all there and can be accessed from the forum page - click on ‘Learn’ in the top bar and that will take you to all of it.

From AutoMagic, if you click on the “SSi” at the top, it will take you back to the main learning website.

1 Like

Good video on the different ways to use “cael”

3 Likes

Shmae folks

Can someone help me with a Cymraeg idiom for

“Bon voyage”?

Siwrnai saff, maybe?

1 Like

Gweiadur suggests siwrnai dda - I can’t see it as a set phrase in Ap Geiriaduron, GPC, or Geiriadur yr Academi.

Relatedly, is there a Welsh equivalent to “Bon Appetit”? I don’t think English really has one.

As far as I have heard it, Welsh just uses the word for “enjoy”, same as in English, so either joia / joiwch or mwynha / mwynhewch.

In English you sometimes hear “Enjoy your meal” and in Welsh you can use one of the words posted by @Hendrik above with “y bwyd” after it.

I saw this on the socials earlier, but didn’t have a great deal of time to think about it. However, it has always struck me that the Welsh word order is basically the opposite to English. However, as I said, I haven’t really had the time to think whether this works in detail and on all occasions.

1 Like

Mostly, as Rob said, it’s the same but in reverse (a great green dragon = draig werdd fawr), but there are anomalies because while most adjectives follow a noun there are exceptions which come before a noun e.g. old (a great old green dragon = hen ddraig werdd fawr)

2 Likes

Which makes me wonder if there’s something innate in humans or maybe Western European culture that should be dictating this order. What do speakers of other languages think?

For those who are interested, there is an entry about this in ‘Gramadeg y Cymraeg’ by Peter Wynn Thomas and it describes the order in Welsh as:

1. a word which combines with the noun to become like a unit, e.g. dyn eira where eira is considered an adjective
  2. adjectives that can’t be ‘graded’, e.g. blynyddol - something can’t be more or less ‘annual’
  3. adjectives of size, e.g. bach, anferth
  4. adjectives of colour, e.g. coch, du
  5. adjectives of origin, e.g. Cymreig, Ffrengig
  6. adjectives made from verbs ending in -dwy or -edig e.g. bwytadwy, honedig
  7. adjectives of age, e.g. ifanc, newydd
  8. adjectives of opinion, e.g. diddorol, hyfryd
  9. the adjective arall
  10. demonstrative adjectives, e.g. hon, 'ma
2 Likes

So: “Y dyn eira unigryw, mawr, gwyn, Cymreig, angredadwy, newydd, diddorol arall 'ma” ?!

Not that anyone would write such an information dump of adjectives, I hope!

That’s a really useful list, Deborah - thank you. I’ll have to go to find it in my copy of PWT and put a post-in on the page.

1 Like

That’s the one! :rofl: :joy:

Adran 4.212, tudalen 316-317 :slight_smile:

1 Like