Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Though in the south, you’ll often hear people pronouncing gwnïo as “gwinio” :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi,

I have two questions

How do you start a thread in the Forum? I can only see how you reply. I am a bit of a computer dunce and the Tiny question I wanted to ask is, is it possible to skip back a little in Auto magic or is that defeating the object? Diolch :slight_smile:

To start a thread, click on the button in the top right, with a plus symbol in front of the word “Topic” when you are in the thread overview.
Right now, it’s not possible to skip back (or forward, for that matter), but as far as I understand it, that is something the developers are working on implementing.

1 Like

Diolch yn fawr

I did find that button in the end. And thanks, I’ll stop looking for a way to skip back :slight_smile:

** Is there any difference between ‘sisial’ and ‘sibrwd’ in meaning?

Both mean whisper … and also there is “murmur” (seems to relate to leaf rustling!?)

I notice that sisial can be used to relate to the ‘whistling’ sound of moving water … so sibrwd is only for a human whisper with words? Not obvious.

They teach sisial in the northern wlpan course … so is the usage a dialect thing?

1 Like

They seem to be interchangeable. According to Geiriadur Yr Academi, they can both be used to describe whisper and murmur, both in relation to water, leaves, and the human voice.

Personally, I’ve only ever used sibrwd - I can’t say I’ve come across sisial in speech up here (though maybe it’s just drifted past in context).

2 Likes

I’ve heard someone say “sisial y môr” while in Aberystwyth, but that’s the only time I’ve ever heard it used in the wild.

1 Like

Rob a Siân … they keep using it in Uwch 2 a 3 yn y Gogledd… and I do not know why :frowning: :smiley: … I’ve only heard sibrwd in Corwen a Rhuthun … you know…I do like the sound of it, cofia … another string to my bow

It’s quite onomatopoeic, isn’t it? I like it too :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is definitely a tiny question:

I have a little personal mantra as a pro musician, which is “Add some music to your day” taken from the Beach Boys song.
I like to write it on stuff - I have it written on my phone.

I want to engrave “Add some music” on some headphones. It’s about time I did it in Welsh.

Can someone help me with a context appropriate way of saying that. Can we translate “add some music” successfully? Or maybe “include some music”

Diolch!

The ‘some’ here makes the phrase quite long - “Add some music” would be ychwanegwch rhywfaint o gerddoriaeth, and “Include some music” would be Cynhwyswch rhywfaint o gerddoriaeth
If you wanted to leave out the ‘some’ for something more succinct, you could just use Ychwanegwch Cerddoriaeth or Cynhwyswch Cerddoriaeth (Add music / Include music).

Personally, in the case of headphones, I think Mond ychwanegwch cerddoriaeth (Just add music) fits too!

1 Like

Thanks Sharon, that’s great

1 Like

If you are looking to explore Welsh music as well… heres a nice place to start (also serach “lŵp” on youtube)
Dydd Miwsig Cymru | LLYW.CYMRU

1 Like

Either way, of course, you’ll need SM after the imperative :wink:

1 Like

Does the stress within a Welsh word change when it takes a suffix? Thank you.

The stress on almost all Welsh words (there are only a few exceptions) is always on the penultimate syllable, so if you add a suffix to a word with two syllables or more, the stress will move to the second-to-last syllable. e.g. ateb (stress on the a) > atebol (stress on the e), gweledig (stress on the second e) > gweledigaeth (stress on the ig)

5 Likes

Thank you, that’s reassuring to know.

1 Like

What is a good English translation of the set Welsh phrase

Wir yr! … indeed it is(?)… Im guessing

Wir yr = really / honestly
e.g. Nes ti aros yn sobr? Do, wir yr! - Did you stay sober? Yes, honestly!

4 Likes

Theres a good sentence haha

Diolch yn dalpiau am eich help gyda llaw…

Also “wir i chi” … is that translated as “sure enough” … or used as a counterpoint?
"Mae pawb yn dweud bod hi’n bwrw glaw (draw yma) o hyd… wir i chi, mae hi’n braf o hyd! "

1 Like