Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

This reminds me - I’ve been wondering what the a is is phrases like this and a dweud y gwir. “And” doesn’t really fit but nor doesn it seem likely that it’s our diminutive friend the interrogative particle. It’s clearly not the guy with the hat (â), so that’s me out of ideas. Maybe a fossil from an older form of Welsh?

I realise it doesn’t matter hugely, but any help from those more knowledgable than me would be appreciated.

Yes, I hear ‘iawn, te’ in the North too

I translate ‘te’ as roughly “then” in this regard … alright then!

I believe the ‘a’ is actually ‘â’ here. It is just most people still use an English only formatted keyboard

1 Like

Aha thanks @brynle - somehow I thought I’d always seen it minus the to bach but that makes sense.

It does make sense, but I’m still not sure it’s right - at least, the Geiriadur yr Academi doesn’t put a to bach on the a, even though it does have an â further down the same entry:

1 Like

@chris-roberts I’ve just asked the Facebook Gramadeg y Gymraeg group for help.

2 Likes

…and, apparently, it is just “and”. Seemingly, that’s just how it goes - with a/ac, if “ac ystyried hynny” works the same way.

4 Likes

I have been corrected.
I have definitely seen â used with “â fod yn onest” but could be a grammar error by speakers on facebook … or old pre WW2 grammar books my mam has…I can’t remember. Its too easy to conflate things. Appreciate the fact checking assuming Phylip is correct here :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Thanks Richard. I suppose that by now I should be used to the idea that idiomatic expressions don’t always make sense when translated directly! (The Spanish “o sea” always bugged me…)

1 Like

I believe this is an example of what’s called the “sangiad” which happens when a clause comes in between the object and the subject:

the so called “normal” (simple) sentence structure would be:
“Dwi’n hapus i gerdded bore dydd llun”
(bore dydd llun is the object I believe but I often get confused as to which is which)

So “i’r ydgol gyda chdi” is an inserted clause that interrupts the “normal” sentence structure.

• I’ve been speaking Welsh so long now it just feels natural to do that mutation - I had to look up the grammatical explanation.

Keep up with the ssiw lessons and listening to natural Welsh conversations and you’ll start to just “get it”. That’s how @Aran designed the course to work. :blush::+1:

1 Like

There isn’t actually an ‘object’ in that sentence as there is no transitive verb - one that requires an object. fore dydd Llun gets the ‘softening’ because it’s expressing a time when something will happen - an adverbial expression of time.

4 Likes

ar siawns would be one way of saying “by any chance”

2 Likes

Depending on the rest of the sentence, it can be useful to use digwydd e.g. “Do you know the way to Bangor by any chance?” could be rephrased as “Do you happen to know the way to Bangor?” - Wyt ti’n digwydd gwybod y ffordd i Fangor?
Can you sometimes rephrase it like that? It sounds nice and ‘Welsh’ :slight_smile:

5 Likes

As an inquisitive reader of nearly everything I came across this. All my questions to you shall now begin with this expression. Diolch yn fawr.

1 Like

:grin: :heart_eyes:

1 Like

A quick side note … Welsh tends to be much more direct than English I have found learning over the years… so while it is useful knowing polite niceties, I have never had people get as bothered if you miss them unlike English.

2 Likes

You could use fac for vacuum cleaner and facio for vacuuming, so “I was vacuuming the carpet” would be “ro’n i’n facio’r carped”.

1 Like

I can totally understand that instinct, but in terms of what’s out there in the language at the moment, you’d be making up your own term. Siaron’s “fac” sounds good, if you want another borrowing from English, but I can’t find evidence in the Corpws Cenedlaethol of anyone using it. You could go with something “peiriant sugno carped”, but again - don’t think anyone else uses that!

But hey! You could start something new here!

2 Likes

I was just reminded of pretty much the only line I actually remember from “Are you being served?” - Captain Peacock comes in to find the chap from the stockroom still vacuuming, when the department is just about to open to the public, and asks what he thinks he’s doing. “I’m ‘ooverin’ up the dust, aren’t I? 'Course, if Goblin 'ad got there first, I’d’ve been Goblin up the dust.”

5 Likes

Oh, they don’t make them like that any more!! :rofl: :rofl: