Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

ie…they use asgell for wing or annexe in the University of Aberystwyth. Definitely not adain as they view that as literally being only on a living thing
( I was sad enough to ask in their welsh lessons)

1 Like

to be pedantic,I rarely hear fan’na in the south much to mean “there” (in general) … but its understood…diolch byth!

yna - used instead.
yno is definitely seen in southern welsh writing for there…and Ive heard it in a few places…but dont think its widespread. Happy to be stood corrected. Only anecdotal evidence from Aberystwyth to Llanelli areas

1 Like

In the south you would hear “weden nhw” in common speech instead of dweden nhw btw… the ‘d’ regularly gets dropped Ive noticed. Not someone to worry about tbh … just sloppy speaking that evolves in all languages

Think about how cockney dialect/accent drops ‘h’ from the start of a word regularly. The Welsh also have a habit of losing y and f - a lot in speech … which throws learners!

Nesaf = nesa
Cyntaf = cynta
Ysgrifennu = sgriffennu/sgwennu

many more examples…people like to make shortcuts where its possible not to lose the word meaning

1 Like

to add to Hendriks reply.

I would use “hynny” with any abstract ideas or concepts. Its genderless.
Hynny is a good default although some speakers will notice…so what? You are speaking Welsh! They will be happy no matter what

2 Likes

The first ones are correct - Fy ffrind wyt ti = you are my friend, fy ffrind oeddet ti = you were my friend.

i think what might be causing confusion are the emphasised versions. In English we’d just do this with tone, stressing the word, but in Welsh it affects the construction:
ffrind fi wyt ti = you are my friend, ffrind fi oeddet ti = you were my friend
If you wanted to emphasise the ‘you’, you’d have ti yw ffrind fi = you are my friend, ti oedd ffrind fi = you were my friend

2 Likes

Thank you so much @siaronjames & @brynle for all the help as usual! :slight_smile:
It’s cleared a lot up for me

1 Like

This has a specific meaning of ‘there (out of sight)’: Dw i wedi clywed am Efrog Newydd, ond fues i erioed yno I’ve heard of New York, but I’ve never been there.

2 Likes

I dont live in the south. Is that commonly heard down there?

I hear 'fan ‘co’ etc … but I am merely a traveller so not immersed :smiley:

fan’cw technically the equivalent of acw, but could well be used for yno by some speakers, of course. :slight_smile:

Yep, dylanwadwr / dylanwadwraig (pl. dylanwadwyr) = influencer (influencers). I’m not aware of any other words.

3 Likes

As I have an aversion to the -wr / -wraig difference, I wondered if there is a version with -ydd, i.e. dylanwadydd to avoid having to focus on the gender of the person, and I found this:

Sefydlodd y Gronfa Loteri Fawr fel cyllidydd, partner a dylanwadydd effeithiol gyda’r sectorau cyhoeddus a gwirfoddol.

where dylanwydydd effeithiol means an “effective influencer”, and as it happens, it was referring to a woman in that role.

4 Likes

Quickie on Lefel 3, Her 4, north version: one of the answers is “pa mor uchel wyt ti eisiau dringo, cyn i chi fynd” - it changes from “ti” to “chi” mid-sentence. Could this be because the question is directed to one member of a group so it’s something like “how high do you, Ffred, want to climb before you and your friends all leave”, or is it really “chdi” and I’m not hearing it properly (and can you use “chdi” like that?)

Diolch fel arfer!

1 Like

Could be someone originally from more northern climes, or someone who has learnt in a class. There are whole new local dialects coming out of Welsh schools, where the Welsh pupils make up a significant proportion of the local Welsh speaking population.

1 Like

Or could be cyn i ni fynd, possibly. (we)

Diolch.

I have definitely heard fan’co and fan’cw on my work travels…but I cant remember if fanco is southern Ceredigion or western valleys around rhydaman but definitely overheard it between two old gentlemen. The location escapes me. Forgive the semantics but I will start to self doubt my own memory !

1 Like

Here is a good question I hear learners ask.
What are all the types of “just” in Welsh? (excepting just for justice)

There are the anglicised forms ‘jyst’ and further south I hear ‘jest’ especially Ceredigion. These can be used in a wide context?

But there is ‘ar fin’ = just about to (literally: on the edge (of doing it))

newydd = newly … dwi newydd weld hynny / na - I just saw that

Dim ond = ‘Not but’ = Dwi ddim ond eisiau un - I just want one (dim ond shortened to 'mond in speech)

prin = barely/scarcely/just about
Dwi’n prin gallu gweld y ffordd - I am barely able to see the road / a.k.a/ I can just about see the road

Any other forms?
is ‘rhag ofn’ decent translation of ‘just in case’ ?

2 Likes

Thank you for the handy list. I must remember “prin” because that was new to me and I’d have used “jyst”, but “prin” is probably better.

I was definitely taught that “rhag ofn” means “just in case”.

Section 56 in the new book :wink:

5 Likes
1 Like

Smooth!

"Prynwch y llyfr. Bydd o’n talu ar ei ganfed’ (Buy the book! It will pay off!)

1 Like