Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

That’s a shame

I think the recording says well i‘r ddynes ifanc (it’s around 27:00 in challenge 12 north). I just wanted to know why and how and what does it all mean hahaha I’ll just remember it.
Thank you all for sharing what you know about deflecting pronouns, I really enjoyed it!

1 Like

No, I haven’t listened to it either. I probably shouldn’t have jumped into the middle, since I made a mistake as well.

‘Dy fod ti’n’ vs ‘bo’ ti’n’?

In the Old Course 2, Vocab 3, I keep thinking I hear ‘dy fod ti’n’ for ‘that you are’. Am I mishearing this, or if not, why is the ‘dy’ there please?

Thank you,
Mari

No, you’re not mishearing Mari, “dy fod ti’n” is the full standard form (“bo ti’n” is the colloquial version). The dy and ti are, I think, called ‘split pronouns’ here, but people can often leave one or other out, so you could also get “fod ti’n” or “dy fod yn” - as usual with these things, stick with whatever you’re comfortable with and just be aware of the variations for when others use them :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Diolch yn fawr Siaron, now I will be able to cysgu heno. Strange how these little things bug me.

Hwy,
Mari

2 Likes

Hello,

Could someone help me with Level 1, Challenge 16/17 with the construction ‘Wnes i fwynhau’? I understood that ‘mwynhau’ soft mutates after ‘wnes i’ but does it still it still mutate when the word ‘ei’ is inserted into the sentence? In other words, is it ‘Wnes i ei fwynhau’ or ‘Wnes i ei mwynhau’? I’m hearing both options on the recordings but I’m imagining only one is correct.

Grateful for any help on this.

@SarahWales it depends on whether the thing the ei is referring to is grammatically masculine or feminine. If you enjoyed a book, which is masculine, it would be wnes i ei fwynhau with the mutation, but if you enjoyed a film, which is feminine, it would be wnes i ei mwynhau.

3 Likes

Thanks Deborah!

1 Like

WNES I DDIM. DO’N I DDIM. I can’t quite grasp these, are they both saying I didn,t?
Diolch am eich help.
Glynn

First one is “I didn’t”, the second “I wasn’t”.

Many verbs can use both, and the difference is about the same as in English: wnes i ddim mynd “I didn’t go” vs do’n i ddim yn mynd “I wasn’t going.”

But some verbs - usually ones that sound odd with “-ing” in the present in English (e.g. “I’m loving her” instead of “I love her”) - would normally only use o’n i’n or do’n i ddim yn, so for those there isn’t really a difference - you just won’t really hear them with wnes i ddim.

1 Like

Richard
Diolch yn fawr iawn . I need to practice this, there’s a worm in there somewhere and I need to squash it.
Dw i’n dal angen ymarfer myw :+1::black_flag:󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿:+1:

Glynn

The way I try to remember it is that o’n (or do’n for negative) is the verb ‘to be’ whereas wnes is ‘to do’. So you’d use o’n or do’n for things where you were being something. You were being in a state of loving someone, you were being in a state of understanding, you were being in a state of sleeping. Whereas you’d use wnes for self-contained actions, where you do it and then it’s finished. You went, you gave, you took, you bought.

As RichardBuck mentioned, some can be both depending on exactly what you’re saying. There’s a difference between ‘I gave to charity’ (I donated £10 that one time) and ‘I was giving to charity’ (I had a direct debit for £10 every month).

Don’t worry too excessively much about this though. I’ve used the wrong one in conversation (I used o’n when I should have used wnes) but the person I was talking to understood what I meant and just responded normally. As long as people can get what you’re trying to say, you don’t need to be perfect.

3 Likes

Many thanks Alan.
I’ll try it.

Glynn

Can anyone help me unpick a rogue sentence in Oswald (Lleucu Roberts)? Its the bit in bold I’m struggling with. The fact that it is meant to be incomplete really isn’t helping!

Doedd e ddim wedi disgwyl i’w fam gwympo’n fawr wrth y sinc fel y gwnaeth hi ar ganol ei phregeth am Amy O’Shea drws nesa. “Edrycha arni’n dangos bochau ei phen ol ar hyd y lle!” Doedd hi ddim wedi dweud ‘pen-ol’ chwaith. Ei gof e oedd yn dweud ‘pen-ol’.
"… yn hanner porcyn ar hyd y lle a boch …"

Any pointers much appreciated!

“…half naked around the place and cheek…” :joy:

1 Like

Hello all, I’m just on challenge 7 of level 1 and I was just wondering if somebody could clear something up for me. I’ve just heard “beth ddwedest ti” and I don’t understand why “dwedest ti” is mutated as it is affirmative and there is no “fe/mi” particle either? Would appreciate any sort of help with this :slight_smile: !

It’s because it follows beth - you always have the soft mutation in that situation.

1 Like

Thanks a lot! I’ve been doing some grammar work by working through Gareth King’s Basic Welsh and I never realised this

2 Likes

Hello again all, just going through the southern challenge 9 and “Where do you want to do it?” has just popped up so I said “Ble wyt ti’n moyn (ei) wneud e?” but I heard “Ble wyt ti’n moyn gwneud e?”. Can somebody please explain why there’s no mutation taking place here? Diolch!