Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Diolch yn fawr! Thank you so much, you are a big help! I was hoping for the colloquial phrase so special thanks for helping me with that. Now off to record the Welsh version!

4 Likes

Mae’n ddrwg gen i. I’ve forgotten how to post a new question onto this thread rather than replying to someone else’s comment or one of their replies!! Ga I help ogydd?

1 Like

There’s a blue Reply button towards the bottom of the screen. Try using that one.

2 Likes

What is the difference between the usage of ‘yma’ and ‘y fan acw’ if any?

1 Like

yma = here
fan acw = there (yonder)

However, these are not the only ways to say ‘here’ and ‘there’, so you’ll also come across…
here: fama / fan 'ma / fan hyn / 'ma
there: yno / yna / fan’cw / fan’no / 'na

3 Likes

Diolch. That’s very helpful.

2 Likes

Does anyone have any questions/phrases to use when applying for a job or when in an interview?

2 Likes

Hopefully this link will help. Ive posted it in Welsh so that examples show in Welsh. You can click a button to change to English.
https://gyrfacymru.llyw.cymru/cael-swydd/llythyrau-cais-ac-e-byst

1 Like

Ok, so it was actually the old “lesson 26” :smiley:

Diolch!

Hello,

So I’ve signed up for the Deep End, and can no longer access the 6 minute per day course.

As suggested at end of Level 2 Challenge 25 I would like to go back and do some of the listening exercises occasionally, and perhaps Level 1 and 2 Challenge 25s also.

How can I go back?

Diolch Luke

You can access all of the online material through clicking on ‘Learn’ up at the top and going to ‘Challenges’ or through the SSiW mobile app for Android or iOS.

If you do it through ‘Learn’ I suggest you download the sound files so that you have them to keep and you can use them offline at any time.

Pob hwyl and congratulations on reaching Level 3! :star2:

1 Like

Helo, bawb.

I know that a conjugated pluperfect tense does/did exist in Welsh, and that I oughtn’t to bother my head about it as far as spoken Welsh goes. Does it still occur in written Welsh? Or does written Welsh just stick to ‘roedd person x wedi gwneud…’? Diolch yn fawr.

This tense does still exist, and you’re right that for spoken Welsh it’s hardly ever used (maybe unless you were quoting from the Bible for instance!) but yes, it can still occur in written Welsh though I’d say mainly in very formal or academic writing - it’s probably fairly unlikely you’d see gwnaethai person x… in contemporary novels.

2 Likes

Diolch yn fawr for the answer, Siaron. I’m tempted by the idea of the pluperfect (and other literary tenses) just because it’s a way to avoid starting lots of sentences with roedd. But it looks as if its usage these days is very limited.

2 Likes

I use “Bendith “ part of benditha da - apologies if spelt wrong.

Bore da, bawb!

Our youngest has really started to become interested in the cat. We’ve been saying “dwylo caredig”, however, is there a way to give the command “gently/gentle”?

Diolch ymlaen llaw :grinning:

Hm, not quite a literal translation of gentle, but what about bydda’n ofalus?

yes, “gan bwyll” would be the best one.

1 Like

Thanks Siaron. I always associate this with chevrons on the road :joy:

1 Like