Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

No, yech-id is fine, the ie is a diphthong here so iechyd only has two syllables (if the i was meant to be pronounced separate from the e it would be written as ïechyd and the word would have 3 syllables).

4 Likes

Ah, so that’s why we put little umlauts on things in Welsh. I’ve learned two things today :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Yes, as in to copy… cop-ee-o (copïo) not cop-yo (copio) :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Diolch, I was wondering about that also. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Speaking Welsh in Abertawe/Swansea

In level 3, challenge 23 (southern) we are prompted to say:

I don’t mind being late

The welsh given is

’s dim ots da fi bod yn hwyr

My natural response was to say this:

’s dim ots da fi (i) fod yn hwyr

Am I also correct? Diolch!!

1 Like

Your version is fine as well, Erica :slight_smile:

1 Like

Fantastic! Diolch!

1 Like

Since llyfr is (m) why does it take a SM after siop—as in ‘siop lyfr’? If it acting as an adjective after siop which is (f), even so I thought ll was an exception, like rh, that would not mutate as adjectives.

Also, since llyfrgell is (f) and (f) singular nouns starting with ll do not take a SM after y, why is it ‘y lyfrgell’?

Could it be that what I was reading was incorrect? :thinking:

1 Like

You are correct that ll and rh sometimes don’t mutate, but the reasoning is a bit different, and it’s leading to exactly the way you are hearing it.
ll and rh don’t mutate after the article y in the case of a female noun, and they don’t mutate if an adjective follows a linking yn. But if a noun is used “adjectively”, all letters that take soft mutation do so:

Mae’r gath yn llwyd - The cat is grey versus
Dw i’n gweld cath lwyd - I see a grey cat

So it’s y llyfrgell (no mutation after article) and siop lyfrau (books used adjectively) – but note that the plural is siopau llyfrau, just as you wouldn’t mutate an adjective following a plural feminine noun – cath fach / cathod bach

11 Likes

Now I can sleep—that explains it, thank you so much!

When things puzzle me they stop me in my tracks and I fret rather than move on. Onwards… :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

How would I say “All gone” and/or “all finished”?

Namely to a child at the end of a meal

All gone - i gyd wedi mynd (but this can shorten to “i gyd 'di mynd”)
All finished - i gyd wedi gorffen (in the same way, this can shorten “i gyd 'di gorffen”)

Ta,

Taht is what I’ve been using but wondered if there was an idiomatic phrase I should have been using

1 Like

Is there a difference between meddwl and golygu when used to mean “to mean”? I’m never sure which to use for

Beth ydy’r gair 'na yn meddwl/golygu?

Or is

Beth ydy ystyr y gair 'na?

a more natural sounding option?
(I think I should maybe have used mae for one of those…)

1 Like

When you’re talking about a word or phrase (as in “what does xxx mean?”), it technically should be golygu, but you will hear meddwl too. But of course you can legitimately avoid both by using ystyr as you did :wink:
When you’re talking about a person (as in “what do they mean?”), it should be meddwl.

2 Likes

Aha thanks Siaron - that’s very helpful.

1 Like

Hi, its me back again, “just like that” as they say on Facebook :smile:
Thought I’d pop back to say hello.Edited: And got sidetracked into doing the old lesson 26 N of level 1. Fair play it’s a tricky one even for seasoned SSiW members like me.
I’d better ask a question I suppose-
Anyone else done Challenge 26?

1 Like

Sut mae. I am working on translating my song lyrics into Welsh (Northern). Can I please get some help? Diolch!

EN:
ha ha
I wish
ha ha
I wish, I wish

If at first you don’t succeed
Try, try again

CY:
Ha ha
Dwi’n gobeithio
Ha ha
Dwi’n gobeithio, Dwi’n gobeithio

Dim chi’n dim llwyddo yn gyntaf chi
Trio, trio, yn eto

English video for context: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK4Mb0KZBK0

Well done for having a go Jen.
Gobeithio = to hope, so you need dymuno (to wish) instead. You could either say “dwi’n dymuno” (I am wishing), or use the short form dymunaf (I wish).

Ha ha
Dymunaf
Ha ha
Dymunaf, dymunaf

Os na fyddwch chi’n llwyddo i ddechrau,
Ceisiwch, ceisiwch eto

The last two lines are a literal translation, but in Welsh we have a different idiom for “If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again” which is “Dyfal donc a dyrr y garreg”, so you could use that instead if you wanted.

PS - nice beats on the video! :slight_smile:

1 Like