Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

I’m not religious these days, but I’ve just discovered “Dechrau Canu Dechrau Canmol”, a sort of Welsh version of “Songs of Praise”. Good if you like a good old sing-song. They show the Welsh text of the hyms during the singing. The spoken part only has English subtitles though.

At the other end of the spectrum, and if you just feel like a “laff”, there is “Dim Byd” and “Chwarter Call”. No subtitles, but a lot of the humour is in mime.

oooh! :open_mouth: ( :wink:)
Songs of Praise was based on Dechrau Canu Dechrau Canmol, after the success of its first series.
http://www.s4c.cymru/dechraucanu-2014/e_history.php
“Songs of Praise” is an English version of “Dechrau Canu Dechrau Canmol”.
( :laughing: :wink: )

1 Like

:blush:

If the missing “is” is inserted, that is what I think our friend Gareth King would call an identification sentence; it defines that one thing is the same as another. I don’t think it says anything about which came first…

(Should I stop digging…? :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

One of my problems when I was a non-Welsh speaker [though I’m not sure I can claim this quite yet], was being in the church choir and being expected to lead the congregation in singing, with hymns or the canticles in Welsh, when my pronunciation of the text was quite ropey and not knowing the meaning of what I was singing. Hopefully I’ll be back in a church choir soon and this will be less of a problem!

2 Likes

Talking to another learner last night we were having difficulties in figuring out how to say ‘get somebody to do something’. We came up with something like:

cael rhyun i wneud rhywbeth

Does this sound at all right (I know Cael is notoriously confused by English speakers)
Flynn

2 Likes

Yup, that’s spot on… :sunny:

3 Likes

I’ve just found a broken link and I’m not sure where best to report it, so here goes:

There’s a (broken) link to www.SaySomethingInWelsh.com/ticklist which needs to be corrected so that it points to www.saysomethinginwelsh.com/pdf/ticklist.pdf instead. It’s towards the end of www.saysomethingin.com/welsh/info/faq#BecomingFluent in the FAQ.

Furthermore, I’ve just noticed that the other links in this item are broken too. Here are the links as currently published, but I’m not sure where they should point nowadays:

www.SaySomethingInWelsh.com/theanswer
www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/mainframe.shtml?http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/cymru.shtml

I hope this helps. Pob lwc!

1 Like

Good catch, Mike - thanks! In fact, the Becoming Fluent link on the FAQ page itself seems to be dead to me, too… so I can’t even see where you’re getting the ticklist link!

@kinetic - think we need a little tidying up here, if you can take the bullet… :sunny:

Diolch yn fawr i ti!

I always wonder how my translation guesswork fairs :slight_smile:

1 Like

@aran - I found it via Google! I originally read the Becoming Fluent piece a couple of years ago, when I was first working through SSiW and therefore I knew that it existed. When I came to look for it yesterday in order to do a recommendation for the beginners at our Liverpool learners’ group I had to have recourse to Google, hence posting the note about broken links. I failed to find the “theanswer” piece, however. There’s probably a copy of it on https://archive.org/web/, but I didn’t have time to search.

Ah, right, thank you - so the link was in the actual ‘Becoming Fluent’ document itself - might be a bit trickier to track it down if there are copies floating around - but we’ll put it on the ‘to do’ list, and thank you very much again! :star: :star2:

Croeso!

1 Like

Dw i wedi meddwl ddoe a heddiw… Dw i ddim yn siŵr os medra i defnyddio ‘newydd ddechrau’ fel;

[dw i] newydd ddechrau / just started
[dw i] newydd orffen / just finished
[dw i] newydd siarad / just spoke
[dw i] newydd feddwl / just thought

Mae unrhyw mwy? Hefyd… beth ydy Right a Wrong yn yr Gymraeg?

Yup, all fine… :sunny:

Depends on the context - but ‘correct’ and ‘incorrect’ would be cywir ac anghywir. :sunny:

1 Like

Diolch Aran! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Shmae Cwningen, I like your picture!!

1 Like

S’mae henddraig :sunny: Diolch!

Newyddion dda - Dw i wedi cwpla cwers 3! Diolch yn fawr iawn i bawb! D
Ond dw i’n bach becso…

What do I do now? I want to improve my vocab- but not sure about the best way to do so. How else can I improve?

1 Like

Whoo-hoo! Llongyfarchiadau mawr!.. :star: :star2:

First up - have you come dancing with the Levels yet? If not, definitely worth doing - start from L1 which you’ll whoosh through, and then get stuck into L2…

We have a post-L3 plan to help with vocab, but even if all goes well that’ll be towards the end of the year. In the meantime, your best bet now is just to get as many speaking partners as possible, and listen to as much Radio Cymru as possible (oh, and enjoy being a Welsh speaker :sunny: )…

Did you ever make it to Yr Hen Lyfrgell? If not, if might be an idea to check them out and see what they have to offer. Other than that, I think if I lived in Cardiff, I think I’d be visiting the library and seeing what learner-friendly Welsh books they had (and possibly audiobooks), Also there’s the Mochyn Du, which some people here are regulars at, so I gather. This is the start of a (fairly long) thread, although I notice it hasn’t been updated this year:

1 Like