Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Susan,

There’s a quicker way than moving the blue line cursor block. If you look under the blue line, you should see a date for the last post - E.g. ‘2d ago’. If you click on that, it will take you to the last post.

Or it least it does on Safari on the Mac and iPad.

HTH. (And what’s the Welsh for Hope This Helps anyway? Gobeithio Mae Hwn Yn Helpu? GMHYH? :grinning:)

Diolch, David! That is a quick way, and works with Firefox too. I had not come across HTH before, a rŵan dw i’n ei gwybod yn y Gymraeg > GMHI (Gobeithio Mae Hwn Iawn?)

1 Like

Croeso!

glôyn byw is definitely the posh boi name to bring out to impress at parties. I know Welsh speakers from southern Wales who have never heard it and others who dont use it. (but it is technically and academically your boy)

Would someone shed light on the use of “i’w”? e.g. in Automagic: gormod i’w fwyta; gest ti rywbeth i’w yfed (where it doesn’t seem to correspond to “i ei/eu” - '“or/to her, him, it, they”, as noted in my dictionary). Is it just colloquial usage?

Surprisingly, it is actually short for i + ei, and it has confused me in the past.

The short answer is that Welsh doesn’t really say “something to eat”, it actually says “something, for eating it.”

See this thread for a recent discussion:

1 Like

Diolch, Richard. I realise “i’w” is something I may never understand, but hope I will eventually remember to include in the correct places!

Hello, I’m not sure if this is the right place to ask, but was wondering if anyone would be able to help with the translation of “tears of joy”? If there is a variation used more commonly in the North I’d really appreciate that translation as that’s where my family is from. Diolch yn fawr :slight_smile:

“tears of joy” would be dagrau o lawenydd, but you could also say wylo o lawenydd or wylo gan lawenydd which is “weeping from/with joy”.

2 Likes

Hi Siaron; ohh okay; thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it and the additional options :slight_smile:

1 Like

Okay, try again

Can I say wedi with other sentences like ddylwn i ddim wedi gwylio y ffilm 'na to mean I should not have watched that movie or Baswn i wedi cyfarfod nhw to mean I would have met them?

Basically, yes.

Technically, the first example needs and extra bod - ddylwn i ddim bod wedi gwylio’r ffilm 'na but you’ll hear people saying it without as well.

Sentences that have the ‘some form of bod’ then yn structure, can replace the yn with wedi like your second example.

3 Likes

Though wrongly :wink:
The point about dylwn i (etc) is that (intervening ddim apart) it has to be followed by a VN - so when there’s a wedi preceding the VN, we need an extra ‘dummy’ VN to attach directly to the dylwn i (etc), and that dummy VN is of course bod. This becomes fod in the positive, because it directly follows the subject, while in the negative it’s the ddim that takes the SM instead, for the same reason.
So for should, all is simple:
Dylwn i fynd I should go
Ddylen i ddim mynd I shouldn’t go
But for should have we have introduced a wedi (remember we don’t use an yn in the shoulds, because it’s dylwn, but we’re required to introduce a wedi simply because of the meaning), which isn’t a VN itself, and so the dummy bod comes into play:
Dylwn i fod wedi mynd I should have gone
Ddylwn i ddim bod wedi mynd I shouldn’t have gone

There’s a new book coming out soon that explains this wonderfully, I’m told :slight_smile:
Meanwhile there’ll be a short test on all this next period.

8 Likes

Wps - typo! Ddylwn i ddim mynd, of course.

Happens to the best of us! :rofl:

1 Like

I was going to try to explain all of this last night, but I’d just got back from Welsh evening at the pub (Arfon Ales, Llandrindod, every Wednesday from 8:00pm, Radnorshire and Builth Hundred folks), so I thought I’d best not. Luckily the professionals appear to have stepped in.:slight_smile:

2 Likes

:rofl:

1 Like

I don’t normally do typos, Siaron, as you know - but I’ve not long got back from Welsh all-nighter at the pub (Arfon Ales, Llandrindod, every Wednesday from 11:00pm through till dawn, Radnorshire and Builth Hundred), so I should have known better really, shouldn’t I?

3 Likes

:rofl: :rofl:

Just learned na, 'sgynnon ni ddim, and I’m wondering if the slangy way of saying it extends to, for instance, na, 'sgen i ddim to say no, I don’t have

2 Likes