Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

A good rule of thumb from Gareth King is that the list of “stative” verbs that would usually sound odd/wrong with wnes i is very similar to the list of those that sound odd in English with “I’m x-ing” (“I am loving her” sounds wrong, unless she’s a Big Mac). Although the fit isn’t perfect, it makes it easy for an English speaker to develop a feel for when wnes i sounds right/wrong.

5 Likes

I keep mixing up ma dal rhaid i fi and ma dal gyda fi and I can’t figure out why. Any tips to help me to get them right?

Mae dal rhaid i fi = I still have to, (with some sense of compulsion). It will be followed by a verb.

Mae dal gyda fi = I still have, (with a sense of possession). It will be followed by a noun.

Hope that helps.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for answering that, much appreciated. Fingers crossed that will help me get them the right way around.

1 Like

Can someone tell me what the difference is between the words for “day” - dydd and diwrnod? Thanks! :slight_smile:

This is one of those things that crop up from time to time, so instead of trying to reinvent the wheel, here is an older post talking about this :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Is it possible to say „Mewn drama dw i“?
I know I can say „Dw i mewn drama“.

And the other way round:
Can I say „Dw i actor“ instead of „Actor dw i“

And then there is another question :sweat_smile:
If I say „Dw i‘n gweld car glas“ how do you know which colour I mean, if „glas“ can be blue, azure, green, grey and silver according to the dictionary (gweiadur.com)?
Same with „llwyd“ (grey/brown)

Yes, if you’re drawing attention to being in a drama (as opposed to being in a comedy, for instance).

Yes, you can say “Dwi’n actor”, but again, if you want to focus the sentence and draw attention to being an actor rather than, say, a teacher, you’d need “actor dwi”

Most people will understand glas as blue and llwyd as grey - those are their most common meanings.

2 Likes

Diolch Siaron!
So it‘s just as I thought :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Small update. I met a Welsh tutor from Pembroke last week, noticed him saying mee-oown and asked him if it was a Pembrokeshire/south-western thing. He said it was.

3 Likes

In the Vocab List, it’s written as “sha lan” with “(tuag i lan)” given as an alternative

1 Like

In the Old Course L2 Vocabulary lesson 8 we get the expression ‘i fyny grisiau’ for ‘upstairs’. Dw i’n mynd i fyny grisia etc.

But in the examples, the ‘i’ is regularly missed out. Is there a pattern to this? e.g. it’s used when there’s an idea of motion (to go upstairs) and missed out when it’s place (he is upstairs)?

Or is it just sometimes left out in quick normal speech, particularly after a vowel?

Secondly, Aran drops in the phrase “Who’d bring up kids?”, with an answer which sounds like Pwy faga’r plant. Is that the conditional magu → magai fo/hi?

And if it is, is it common to use the ‘short’ conditional (e.g. without byddai) like this in speech?

Thanks!

Yes, because the i here is attached to the mynd, not to the fyny, but also it can sometimes get ‘swallowed up’ in pronounciation to make it sound like it isn’t there between mynd and fyny.

Yes, it is and it’s common in speech (particularly in the north) for -ai to become -a, and for the short form to be used.

2 Likes

Thanks @siaronjames!

It’s sometimes difficult to know when an expression sounds the way it does because of the grammar, or because of the elision, but your answer has cleared that particular one up for me…

Similarly, I’m never really sure whether what sounds like i’w neud o is really i wneud o, because technically, aren’t they – and i neud o – all valid? I don’t suppose it matters much either way…

Thanks again!

yup, all valid in speech and all would be understood as meaning the same thing :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not in this exact context, but I occasionally hear people on Rownd a Rownd saying Be’ ti’n da’ma?! which is translated as “What are you doing here?!” in English subtitles, and that seems to fit with what your tutor said about da chi.
But the etymology of this is a complete conundrum wrapped in a mystery to me.

1 Like

You’ve just answered your own question :wink:
Yes, gweinyddiad and gweinyddiaeth are administration (i.e. the noun), but the adjective administrative (as shortened in admin work) is gweinyddol.

2 Likes

I think it’s that gweinyddiaeth is administration as in a body of people, as in a government or council. gweinyddiad is more as in a ministering or an officiating.

2 Likes

If you’re talking about admin as in paperwork, it’d be gwaith gweinyddol.
For instance, at work we have offices for cynhyrchwyr, suites for golygyddion, and an office for the team gweinyddol.

1 Like

Byddwn I/ fysat ti/ fyddet ti’n etc.

I’m v confused with the later challenges in L2. In my Sylfaen course, we have learnt that ‘would’ is mi faswn i/ faset ti / fasai hi / fasech chi etc, but in ssiw ‘would’ seems to translated in a different way - fyddech chin / fyddet ti ( challenge 18) and byddwn i (c.24). Some, like ‘Fysat ti’ in c.24 don’t seem to appear in any verb conjugation table anywhere . I understand about the SM after Mi, such that Mi faswn i can become Baswn i, but there seem to be so many variations and things like ‘Fysat ti’ that I can’t find anywhere.

I’ve seen the thread on baswn vs taswn vs baswn but that doesn’t shed light on this q.